Anyone ever travel gearless and fearless? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Anyone ever travel gearless and fearless?

D

Deleted member 29963

It's okay for recreational hoboing, I learned the hard way what I needed to have with me by doing this sort of thing for a few years when I basically still lived with my mother. But to echo what some other people have written: it can be disastrous. I lost almost all of my gear trying to hitch east from East St. Louis in 2017 and still haven't exactly gotten back on top of my gear game, nor am I so enthusiastic about hitchhiking off of the west coast or outside of Arizona.

Wildflower

Reaction score
Never gearless but many trips ditched the tent for extra room and weight and carried just my sleeping bag in my pack and a change and enjoyed the lightweight travel of it all and the stars. Had a tarp for emergency rain. The bivy sack would have been enjoyable but I ended up buying one second hand from a gear store to stay lightweight and easy camping and I actually got pretty wet in it.. I have been stuck in situations where something happened to my gear and I ended up spending the night if I had to sleep curled up in my clothes trying to breathe hot hair into my shirt to stay warm through the night until I found some more gear...

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
I have been stuck in situations where something happened to my gear and I ended up spending the night if I had to sleep curled up in my clothes trying to breathe hot hair into my shirt to stay warm through the night until I found some more gear...

I was lucky insofar that I never lost my sleeping bag(s).

Happened that I had no shoes in February in England or ragged clothes in cold weather. I had my backpack stolen from me once while I slept, but I still had my sleeping bag always. Lifesaver.

But yeah, I used to breathe hot air in my clothes or sleeping bag in cold nights as well. ;)

Romanriff

Reaction score
Never gearless but many trips ditched the tent for extra room and weight and carried just my sleeping bag in my pack and a change and enjoyed the lightweight travel of it all and the stars. Had a tarp for emergency rain. The bivy sack would have been enjoyable but I ended up buying one second hand from a gear store to stay lightweight and easy camping and I actually got pretty wet in it.. I have been stuck in situations where something happened to my gear and I ended up spending the night if I had to sleep curled up in my clothes trying to breathe hot hair into my shirt to stay warm through the night until I found some more gear...
That's usually how I travel now. I got a sleeping bag and bivy sack and I make it out in the rain fine, I just look for dry spots and cardboard.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads