Anyone currently homesteading?

happyearthhomes

Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
using solar only 60 watts now with a geni, 1k-10k an acre, wanting to start growing 40% of our food but now just a kick ass camp in the woods with two rvs and attempting to build a earthship in the next 2 years

ChrisKCMD

Reaction score
That's awesome man this stuff really really intrigues me. Are u going to be hunting, fishing or trapping for food at all? I think homesteading is a great way to find some purpose for life while being connected with the outdoors. U anywhere near grand junction?

Dirtbaguette

Reaction score
I'm up at almost 10,000 ft elevation in an old RV. Got a solar panel & 12 volt system of 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in series with just a 400 watt inverter.I've got a gas generator to run higher voltage things on occasion. Need to do a LOT of improvements for it to be livable through the -30 deg temps I get there. There's a 250 lb propane tank but no wood stove yet. I'm bailing this winter though because last winter really sucked...ha ha...paid $4300 for five treeless acres. No water or well. I haul that in. Do a composting toilet. Got some awesome characters as neighbors though. Buncha preppers & an old hippie who lives in a buried shipping container. Need to have a greenhouse to grow food up there. Got lots of plans I wanna do but no income just now to do it. It's basically like a less populated Slab City there but always fucking freezing cold instead of desert hot. Surrounded by mountains with two huge reservoirs a few miles south. Killer fishing, tons of antelope, deer, elk, rabbit etc. We have a secret spring nobody knows about : ) I've been living alone there a year now. It'll be nice one day.....

ElectroGypsy

Reaction score
I'm up at almost 10,000 ft elevation in an old RV. Got a solar panel & 12 volt system of 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in series with just a 400 watt inverter.I've got a gas generator to run higher voltage things on occasion. Need to do a LOT of improvements for it to be livable through the -30 deg temps I get there.

Nice, Freezing is easier to deal with than the heat, to my way of thinking anyway.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads