any other folks plan/sketch their packs? (or am i just a massive nerd) | Squat the Planet

any other folks plan/sketch their packs? (or am i just a massive nerd)

packpossum

Reaction score
i was messing around in my sketchbook and trying to figure out how to organise my gear (and what stuff i need to get) and i ended up sketching it all out. thought some of you guys might get a kick out of it? my pack itself is pretty small - it's a 30 litre backpack supposedly, but i think it holds a lot more than that bc the top is super expandable, plus i've added a couple of side pouches (which are awesome!)

if anyone's interested:
pack - karrimor SF sabre 30, which is pretty indestructable AND comfortable. love it. cost me about £70 new, which was expensive for me but definitely worth it
side pouches - viper stuffa utility pouch x2. i love these bc they basically make my kit modular, like a much more ergonomic ALICE pack. each one is pretty spacious and easy to attach/remove by undoing the buckles (they have MOLLE attachments but my pack doesn't have MOLLE on the sides so they're effectively attached by the side straps, which feels sturdy enough to last) - £12 each

do any of you use a similar setup? what should i change/add? think my setup sucks? let me know, i love talking about gear!

Scanned Documents-1.png

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
hell yeah, i can nerd out on some packing prep. looks like a good setup! also, topic matches your username :p

Reactions: packpossum

Colinleath

Reaction score
Website
colinleath.github.io
If you want some inspiration to be more artistic or nerdy visit: Login • Instagram - https://instagram.com/plouheran -- she does some very nice ink & watercolor of her cycling adventures (Brittany to Tehran).

I'm using a six moon designs 40l i think but it's usually strapped on my bike rack. . . Not hiking with it and when i did go hiking with it recently, i actually started out with two other packs on my shoulders or yoked together over the back of my neck. . . Pics soon. I've sewn a tumpline on it as well. . . Here's a page i wrote on the tumpline a while back. All the pic links broke though. The founder of Patagonia Yvon Chouinard uses a tumpline too.

20211220_163938.jpg . I'm carrying 13.5L of water and five days worth of food. The water is mainly in the pack with the tumpline. I switch between using the tumpline (and giving my shoulders a break) and the shoulder straps (and give my neck a break). The two side packs i tie together behind my neck so they don't slip down my shoulders.

Last edited:

packpossum

Reaction score
If you want some inspiration to be more artistic or nerdy visit: Login • Instagram - https://instagram.com/plouheran -- she does some very nice ink & watercolor of her cycling adventures (Brittany to Tehran).

I'm using a six moon designs 40l i think but it's usually strapped on my bike rack. . . Not hiking with it and when i did go hiking with it recently, i actually started out with two other packs on my shoulders or yoked together over the back of my neck. . . Pics soon. I've sewn a tumpline on it as well. . . Here's a page i wrote on the tumpline a while back. All the pic links broke though. The founder of Patagonia Yvon Chouinard uses a tumpline too.

View attachment 67415 . I'm carrying 13.5L of water and five days worth of food. The water is mainly in the pack with the tumpline. I switch between using the tumpline (and giving my shoulders a break) and the shoulder straps (and give my neck a break). The two side packs i tie together behind my neck so they don't slip down my shoulders.
wow that looks like a really good way to carry a heavy load! i don't usually need so much food/water bc the uk is small enough that you're almost always near civilisation but i can imagine carrying that much water alone must suck.
also thanks for the link, i'll definitely check it out!

Anthorhitchhiker77

Reaction score

View attachment 67415 . I'm carrying 13.5L of water and five days worth of food. The water is mainly in the pack with the tumpline. I switch between using the tumpline (and giving my shoulders a break) and the shoulder straps (and give my neck a break). The two side packs i tie together behind my neck so they don't slip down my shoulders.
Your a mad man and I love it that's ALOT to carry you ever sleep in the desert during winter and if so how do you not freeze to death

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads