Another footwear thread for redundancy's sake...

Ace9133

Reaction score
I've had a pair of Texas Steer (Kmart brand) boots since 2016 and they are leaky, creaky and plain awful. I'm looking for a cheap ($30-60 ish) pair of boots that are steel toe'd and waterproof or water resistant. Will be walking a lot, especially on ballast on railroad right of ways. Any and all suggestions are welcome, thanks!!

Bibs

Reaction score
I had a pair of dickies "escape" boots that weren't too bad, they aren't waterproof but you can offset that by waxing them or giving em a few once overs with hairspray. Cost me 23.99usd on sale but are regularly 35.99.

I'd urge you to save up the extra coin and get some redwings or Carolina boots. They're expensive as fuck but incredibly reliable and tough. Whites boots would be the holy Grail of footwear if you can get your hands on em though. Good luck.
With gratitude, -Ian

Reactions: Ace9133

Ace9133

Reaction score
I had a pair of dickies "escape" boots that weren't too bad, they aren't waterproof but you can offset that by waxing them or giving em a few once overs with hairspray. Cost me 23.99usd on sale but are regularly 35.99.

I'd urge you to save up the extra coin and get some redwings or Carolina boots. They're expensive as fuck but incredibly reliable and tough. Whites boots would be the holy Grail of footwear if you can get your hands on em though. Good luck.
With gratitude, -Ian
Thanks Ian! My dad has had a pair of Redwings since 2014 and they're still going strong. Might invest in them at a later date, but right now I think I'll follow your suggestion with the Dickies boots. I'll look 'em up and decide then.

Reactions: Tony G and Bibs

Tony G

Reaction score
I've had a pair of Texas Steer (Kmart brand) boots since 2016 and they are leaky, creaky and plain awful. I'm looking for a cheap ($30-60 ish) pair of boots that are steel toe'd and waterproof or water resistant. Will be walking a lot, especially on ballast on railroad right of ways. Any and all suggestions are welcome, thanks!!
Just get military boots they're cheap but not steel toe but redwings are great too i have 2 pairs my hopping pair and town pair my town pair have held up since 2007 and my train pair i replace every season

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads