An unfortunate realization and reality shock | Squat the Planet

An unfortunate realization and reality shock

Reaction score
I posted a little while ago on here about taking my German shepherd puppy on the road. I've now come to realize that I probably can't. Hit me in the face like a thunder clap . I'm a strong believer in once you adopt a pet, its your job to see its life through, which makes this all the more depressing and guilt ridden of a decision. I've had him since he was 2 months old, he's now 5 months, and is a great dog without question, obedient, extremely loyal, a natural guard dog, and would be a fantastic travel companion. He's compatible with me, but I may not be with him. I love him dearly, more than most people honestly. but I might have to let him go. As in re home him. He's great, as I said, but alto of work. I cant't go in stores with him, etc, I have to watch him like a child, carry food and water, a food and water bowl, and deal with people trying to fuck with him on a daily basis when all I need to do is run in the store for 5 to 10 minutes. Having to be careful with my money so that he has food. I also can't get on a freight train with him. THAT BLOWS. I usually end up frustrated and angry, and super worn down at the end of the day having him with me at all times. I'm also concerned about his joints since he's around the time frame when genetic joint problems start showing, and often when he's sitting his front legs will have tremors. THATS A NO for a road dog. At the end of the day I kinda feel like someone could be better at taking care of him. My thing is that if im reconsidering taking him all over the country with me, I shouldn't have him at all. I love him greatly, but re homing him might be best. Thinking like this makes me feel guilty, and it makes me feel even worse when I get up to do something and he jumps up happily trotting after me. While im typing he even came over and went to sleep by my feet. Still not solid on re homing him, just needed to vent this somewhere. Any opinions or thoughts on the matter are welcome.

D

Deleted member 20

I read & searched for an emoji out of avoidance or for fear that I might say the wrong thing as a response. I can empathise with your dilemma. While my dog is not of question, I simmillarilly struggle with such conundrums. I am sure that you will find your way & make whatever appropriate choice needs to be made. To live without regrets is always the hard part. I wish you happiness in finding a solution without lingering regrets.

Last edited:

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I posted a little while ago on here about taking my German shepherd puppy on the road. I've now come to realize that I probably can't. Hit me in the face like a thunder clap . I'm a strong believer in once you adopt a pet, its your job to see its life through, which makes this all the more depressing and guilt ridden of a decision. I've had him since he was 2 months old, he's now 5 months, and is a great dog without question, obedient, extremely loyal, a natural guard dog, and would be a fantastic travel companion. He's compatible with me, but I may not be with him. I love him dearly, more than most people honestly. but I might have to let him go. As in re home him. He's great, as I said, but alto of work. I cant't go in stores with him, etc, I have to watch him like a child, carry food and water, a food and water bowl, and deal with people trying to fuck with him on a daily basis when all I need to do is run in the store for 5 to 10 minutes. Having to be careful with my money so that he has food. I also can't get on a freight train with him. THAT BLOWS. I usually end up frustrated and angry, and super worn down at the end of the day having him with me at all times. I'm also concerned about his joints since he's around the time frame when genetic joint problems start showing, and often when he's sitting his front legs will have tremors. THATS A NO for a road dog. At the end of the day I kinda feel like someone could be better at taking care of him. My thing is that if im reconsidering taking him all over the country with me, I shouldn't have him at all. I love him greatly, but re homing him might be best. Thinking like this makes me feel guilty, and it makes me feel even worse when I get up to do something and he jumps up happily trotting after me. While im typing he even came over and went to sleep by my feet. Still not solid on re homing him, just needed to vent this somewhere. Any opinions or thoughts on the matter are welcome.
Sorry your in such a pickle man. It would be like choosing the road over your gf of two years. The question is. Can you as a traveler give this pup a good safe healthy life? Lots of people do it. The pup if has joint problems now will have them no matter what. What can you do to help him while traveling? Alot. Just as much as anybody. Will rehoming him be a better thing? You never know. He may just be chained up in a yard for the rest of his life... or in a cenel, locked in a house... with owners to busy to love him or play with him. There is no way of saying if you are better with out him or him without you. The question is are you willing to compromise and learn a life that is indusive to an animal in trade for his love and loyalty? Will his presance give you security, love, acceptance and genuine friendship absaloutly yes. A road animal alot if not most of the time has a better quality of life than that of a house dweller animal. Personal opinion on personal xp.
Alot different, but I hitched with a cat for a year she loved it lol. Loved the walks and long days in the forest whare she ran free. Speaking of running free. Activity helps arthritis in all animals. Can help prevent it and help reduce after it takes hold of your body. THC and CBDs are also ok for dogs. My g ma gives her 13 year old gog that can't hardly walk a Tbl spoon of keef in his dog food every morning and he walks and runs all day like he has no problems at all. He gets a big smile about half hour after he eats and wants to play. Costly? Not in legal states whare that shit is trash and given away... my g ma never paid for any of it its just trim and shit shake man. I would not hop fraight with a German tho. Verry sensitive ears.

Reactions: beersalt

rando

Reaction score
As tentatively as I can I just want to say, that's what having a dog is like.. Everything you've described having trouble with is what dog ownership is like. It is a give and take. You have a faithful friend to sleep at your feet who loves you unconditionally, and in return to make sure he's comfortable, happy, well fed and that his needs ALWAYS come first. Trust me, I know how hard it is to rehome a dog. Although I don't feel like talking about my experience rehoming my best dog ever, be assured I know that pain.. But that's also part of putting his needs first. If he needs to go, he needs to go. But if you're willing to put his needs first ALWAYS, then keep him and love him and build your life around HIM.

Either way, put his needs first and you'll never go wrong.

DakottaRivers

Reaction score
I mean i know if it will help but someone who hobos around with 2 dogs gave me adivce about going into stores and how to find food. Was told petsmart throw out a shit ton of food and stuff and walmart could have any medical supplies in the dumpster if ever needed like pain meds for join problems. Im not 100% sure on the walmart but am 100% on the petsmart. U wouldn't have to worry about buying food so often. Also was told when u need to run into a store best to tie ur bag and dogs up in a spot no one can really fuck with them just make it fast.

• Useful
Reactions: Juan Derlust
D

Deleted member 13433

My own sincere opinion:
In Feb of 2010, I came across a with pitbull that had one blue and one brown eye.
How ??
Well, a woman I was involved with got her out of pound, as she was a to be destroyed dog.
I'm not going to lie: I was scared of this dog.
But I already had a sinking feeling that somehow, she was going to wind up with me.
Some time passed, a couple of months... and the dog along with it's owner were living in the house behind me.
Now, I was a cat person - but this poor dog bonded with me, and truth be told I saw that she was not being cared for right [20 - 22 hours in a crate is not cool....]
So, after a while the dogs owner [we were at odds by this point] wanted to get rid of this white pitbull who was just a little over two years.
At first, it looked like a traveler was going to get her - but I was not cool with that.
Then, I saw a sign at the factory we both worked at that said free to good home, and that was it for me, I decided that I was going to give this dog a new lease on life.
I seem to think this was easier said than done at first, as the dog did have some concerning behavioral issues at first, but the dog really wanted me to rescue her, and so I did.
For about the first week or so, it was for me very stressful as I wanted to do this right.
This also required some major changes in my life, the main thing being shutting down my recording studio which I spent close to 18 years putting together [it was/is analog, big open reel tape machines... real nice vintage [1960s/1970s...] gear.... and I closed the studio for the sake of this dog.
Going into this, I knew ten years right off the bat would belong to my dog, that I was going to give everything up.
No more 12 hour kayaking trips, no more 500 mile day trips... everything now was going to focus on my new pal, a pitbull named Loki.
By the time my profile picture was taken, me and Loki's former owner were at complete odds, and she was preparing to go to Seattle which she may or may not have done, as I lost contact with her...
What at first was a cause of great concern [adopting a pitbull as my first dog] ended up becoming a huge blessing, and my dog even got me to completely stop drinking to excess, which was no small miracle.
We did alot together while she was young, hikes, kayak trips - all short, and I could see that she was happiest once back home, as all my dog ever wanted was a home where she could be safe and sound and free [no crating, none of that shit....]
Of course, Loki came with some aggression issues so I learned very early on to keep her away from other dogs.
I also never bring her to stores.
But we got to do things in nature which none of us would have ever had the chance to do otherwise, and for me - this turned my life on to a completely new positive path.
Eventually she could be let go in my yard, completely fenced in - and she would not try to escape - but she would most certainly guard her turf.
When she is out, I am out, and when I am cold she is cold - meaning I treat her the way I want to be treated.
My pig shaped friend is now coming up on 12 years old, and we are both slowing down together.
Recently I saw the film a dogs purpose, along with a dogs journey, and my dog Loki soaked up a whole bunch of tears because I started to wonder if there was something to Loki coming into my life, and as time goes on, I cannot imagine life without her.

Where I am going with this: it sounds like you got the beat friend you'll ever make or have.
If you truly believe that when you adopt a pet it is for life, then you will change your life for your dogs sake, just like I did.
If you feel otherwise, and that's fine - by no means am I passing judgement friend - but if you feel otherwise, then you need to acknowledge that your beliefs have somewhat changed.
I could go on, but I want to now spend some time with my friend outside now, while I do some things in the yard and then we will go for a short hike together.
But I know how you feel - I totally changed my life around 180 degrees, totally.... in that many of the things I used to do I had to completely stop doing BUT lucky for me, I was at a point in my life where positive change needed to occur, the thing is I did not realize this until I had my dog for a year or so.
Maybe if you are real lucky you'll find the right person for your dog if you truly feel it won't work out.
I know the person I adopted my dog from made me promise her on some things, and man I wish there was a way I could tell her how well Loki has been doing, and how Loki is truly the best dog in the world.
Good luck friend, and if you have any questions or want to learn more about how my dog changed my life I'd be more than happy to tell you about it.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads