An Aspiring Captains Tale | Squat the Planet

An Aspiring Captains Tale

Aurum

Reaction score
Ahoy, I've recently been entertaining the idea(and quite intently I might add)of saving up money, getting my ASA certifications and Trying to get work in either tahoe or maybe the sac delta, I specifically hope to ultimately acquire a metal multi hull vessel (of rather large size, and needing a potential crew when time comes round, for anybody interested, stay in touch) for use as a mobile glass studio, and anarchist monastery what I've been thinking, hoping really, is to be able to teach glass art, and sailing for free along the west coast, while providing rides on the cheap, non stop along the northwest coastline, Thing is my fellow salty travelers, I was wondering if anybody here has ever piloted a multi hull, or just had some advise for an aspiring captain?

Thanks in advance. Peace.

Durp

Reaction score
  • I have piloted quite a few power ones and I am sure I would die if I tried a sailing one. Even with an engine the tides drag it where it wants and there is not all that much room onboard for a cabin. Plus they suck to maneuver in harbor. Look into junk rigging it is supposed to be way easier to sail then Bermuda.

Reactions: Kal

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Wow...if I were right out of high school and single again, with no responsibility, I'd be all over this.

I can't wait to hear how this idea progresses!

Aurum

Reaction score
Well, Upon doing some studying, and realistic thinking, I've decided it's time to start small, for even the largest jungle starts with a seed.
While I do have quite large plans for the future, currently it's time to learn to crawl. (Or sail as the case may be)

As of this post, I have no home, no cash, but plenty of ambition. I'm going to start my search for a small vessel to fix up/live-a-board. I'll be making some changes to my gear, and researching which option will be better for me, either Lake Tahoe, or the Delta.

Also I found a beat up 20ft house boat in the delta on craigslist, hoping to hear back about that soon.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
by multi-hull do you mean a trimaran? like this?

cross-18-trimaran-photo10.jpg

cause those things are fucking awesome and have a ton of room in them. not the one above, but the older bigger ones i mean. i don't think they're super duper expensive if you look in the right area. they're super stable too.

Reactions: Aurum and Kal

Aurum

Reaction score
Well, matt, after looking into it quite a bit more extensively, my multihull/mobile glass studio dream might be a bit too ambitious, both in price and realistic functionality. I'm thinking that a houseboat, or something similar might better suit my needs/wants. Ultimately I'd like to be able to have at least, room to have a small crew, a study/library, a dojo, a solar powered electric motor, and room to transport goods/travelers along the northwest coast to help pay for boat expenses. Specifically from san fran/delta area up to portland. This is quite a long way off from my current situation, but I'm hoping to have my first vessel by the end of fall.

Aside from that, I'm still diligently searching for a starting point, and struggling for cash, and yet every time I think of the outcome, or see photos and hear of tales from other boat-punks, I'm swept with an overwhelming sense of wanderlust.

Aurum

Reaction score
Small update: Today I got messaged back about a houseboat for sale for $1. Description stated it has dry rot. Not sure of the extent of the damage, or if It'd be worth the work/expense to fix, or if I could even fix it.
Alas, I'm going to continue my quest, and call the gentlemen selling it, possibly go see this thing in person soon. I can only hope this quest proves fruitful, but I have High Hopes.

Aurum

Reaction score
Update for whom it may concern, My job has been put on hiatus, so it's time to trip up to portland to visit my aunt and try to get work there so I can focus more intently on my glass art studies. Plan to be back on the hunt for a houseboat ASAP, hope to be setup, and melting glass in Portland before fall, and then its back home to California come the new year for sailing lessons and to begin the daunting task of acquiring/fixing/Captaining my first S/V.

Peace and High Hopes - Aurum

Aurum

Reaction score
Sooo, here's an update, I did some research and figured I should be safe rather than sorry, and learn to sail solo before I bother finding a vessel of my own.
I've narrowed down what school I'm going to take my intro classes at, now the fun part, saving up $.
For anybody who doesn't know that might read this, sailing isn't cheap, thusly sailing lessons ain't cheap.

Alas, I'm dead set on learning and living that sweet "boat-punk" life. That's all for now.

Reactions: Izzy

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads