Alternative Retirement(?)

WastedUnionBlues

Reaction score
I am looking at preparing over the next couple of years to hit the road. I have many reasons and see it as a way out and a way in. I think less about constant movement and more about a Winter spot and a Summer spot. I like the thought of travelling with other women; of embracing solitude and community; of living with less and being more; of stripping things down to the bone and getting clear. It may be more of a challenge for me because of my age and some physical limitations, but I think preparation is key. "I want a shot at redemption. I don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard." If I stay here in Portland, I could end up imprisoned in a tiny efficiency studio looking out my window and grieving until I die. I wanna live right in my life and feel it. I want to be around other people who want to strip away things that don't matter and be quiet with myself and open to others and experience something that looks very different from being rooted in poverty. I want to give my poverty wings and write my own ending: There.

WastedUnionBlues

Reaction score
I'm old too! (61).(Yeah Matt, I used to be curbscore). Gradually getting rid of things , especially the house is the hard part. Starting out with short trips is the easy part..which for me has meant vanning and AmTraking.
At this point, I'm not even going to mention it to my closest contacts, knowing all will strongly discourage me. I'm thankful I've found this spot and others. It has made me feel so much better than worrying about what's going to happen to me: Just decide that now and make it happen, right?

Reactions: salxtina

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
awesome intro and welcome to STP.. I try really hard to get rid of shit and then I accumulate more shit. Very irritating. However I have a place where I can store the stuff and I'm getting ready to do some traveling soon so I guess I'm ok, but I still am getting ready to dump some stuff though. :D

Reactions: spoorprint
D

Deleted member 16034

Welcome fellow Portlander! I, too, feel myself staring out the windows of my work or home often, wondering if I'm going to get free before I start decomposing. Do you have a plan of attack? Are you thinking about just moving out to the slabs and living there? I noticed one of your statuses talked about meeting with other Portlanders, maybe we can compare and contrast plans over some coffee? PM me if you're interested! :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads