Alice Pouches | Squat the Planet

Alice Pouches

Joey Garbanzo

Muscle of the DiPinto Crime Family
Reaction score
I used the search function and couldn't find anything...what are some "essential pouches" you guys add to your ALICE pack? I recently came into one and was curious what additional pouches are useful.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm sorry, I'm a little confused apparently. All this time I've been calling my pack an alice pack but I think it's actually a molle II and my suggestions of search words makes absolutely zero sense.. don't listen to me.

Bushpig

Reaction score
Not much compatibility between the two as I understand.

I have a medium ALICE on a frame. The only thing I have attached is a canteen pouch on the belt. Also, I don't larp, so I don't use the military canteen. My pouch holds a 32 oz Gatorade bottle that is nestled in my stainless mug.

• Useful
Reactions: Crazy Hobo Johnny

Joey Garbanzo

Reaction score
Not much compatibility between the two as I understand.

I have a medium ALICE on a frame. The only thing I have attached is a canteen pouch on the belt. Also, I don't larp, so I don't use the military canteen. My pouch holds a 32 oz Gatorade bottle that is nestled in my stainless mug.

Thanks for the help guys! I'm honestly kinda surprised just how much room is in this thing.

That's kind of what I was getting at like using the military pouches for other items. I'm thinking if I can get some of the pouches for magazines...they may be useful for a few small odds and ends like a sillcock and that sort of thing.

Just wanted to hear what others have done for a bit of inspiration.

Rideslow

Reaction score
Find yourself a frame from a commercial backpack and strap that Alice pack to it. The Alice frame has no suspension. It hangs from your shoulders and just sucks.

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
So ALICE (looking up acronym) means all purpose individual carrying equipment and is basically the system they used to develop those type of bags so they would be interchangeable with others of the same system. The molle is the newer system but from what i understand is interchangeable with the Alice.

There's three sizes of Alice rucksack. The smallest is so rare I dont think I've ever seen one. Medium can be used with or without a frame and the frame is pretty well interchangeable with a lot of different back packs. And finally the large bag being limited to use only with a frame.

So really the best option a lot of people pick is the medium because it's versatility.
You can probably find a lot of info on yt. On how to use it. Heck you could probably download here I found it instruction manual http://www.georgia-outfitters.com/AlicePackManual.pdf

• Useful

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i could be totally wrong about this but it seems like the MOLLE packs have replaced ALICE packs almost entirely over the past 20 years or so.

• Agree

Bushpig

Reaction score
i could be totally wrong about this but it seems like the MOLLE packs have replaced ALICE packs almost entirely over the past 20 years or so.
Nope. You're correct. At least as far as military use goes. ALICE is used a lot amongst preppers, survivalists, etc. That's pretty much it though. I use a medium ALICE while traveling, but only until I come across a super cheap replacement at a thrift store or something.

Joey Garbanzo

Reaction score

I'm not American but I believe you are conpletely correct that MOLLE has entirely replaced ALICE packs and gear as far as military. I like MOLLE and find it to be very versitile and customizable however the appeal of ALICE (to me) is the frame. The ability to repair a popped rivet by walking into a hardware store and buying a bolt to put in it's place is worth a million bucks in my mind.

I feel like this is where MOLLE falls short.

If something were to happen and the frame snap I'd be hosed. The durability and ease of field repair has me more attracted to the ALICE pack. I have a set of new shoulder straps coming which are "supposedly" superior to the original ALICE straps.

I'll update with a review of them if anyone is interested once I get them and get my pack set up with them.

• Useful
Reactions: Matt Derrick

SMG Spicy

Reaction score
I went from the Alice pack to the Molle II and it was a HUGE difference!
the Molle pack replaced the Alice, you can replace a few parts on the Alice pack with some of the newer pieces. There are a few Alice mods you can try OP- there's the Hellcat mod (which is replacing the shoulder straps the hip belt with Molle ii parts. Idk to much about the Malice mods.

I actually just ordered an large Alice I plan to put some work on before I hit the road, if I get the cash to buy the pieces I'll show you.

Youtube has tons of videos for mods too

• Useful

SMG Spicy

Reaction score
I used the search function and couldn't find anything...what are some "essential pouches" you guys add to your ALICE pack? I recently came into one and was curious what additional pouches are useful.

F18D4B2B-C012-41E1-8D2D-5D8C497B7FF5.jpeg
960AACAD-B6A4-403E-98AA-878EE963CAA9.jpeg

hey man- I just finished putting on the molle ii hipbelt and shoulder straps on my medium Alice- I also attached the Molle ii sleeping system bag to the bottom of the frame- which I don’t have a pic of yet- it’s actually got more cubic space now than a large Alice or the actual molle ii ruck.

as with every big pack there’s the risk of taking more shit than you need because you can.

Robb the Pikey

Reaction score
i´ve me A.L.I.C.E since 1996. changet some parts over the years, yeah ,hes sometimes hard on the shoulder but i ceep m cause i´m sentimantal.
that picture is from 2016

Attachments

• IMG_20200622_120912.jpg
    IMG_20200622_120912.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 204

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads