Alaska: Juneau->Anchorage->The Spit (walking/hitching/hopping)

SeeYouInIceland

Reaction score
I'll be in Juneau next week, just me and my pack. Hoping some of y'all who've been there got digs.. After resting in Juneau I figured I'd just cross the water and start hitching toward Anchorage, maybe looking for parks and truck stops along the way. Is there any concern, or is this stretch more or less like other remote parts of the country? Heading south after Anchorage. Thanks y'all!
EDIT: It looks a lot easier to see the area N>S, except that I'll be busking and was told Juneau is a prime spot to make money.

Last edited:

SeeYouInIceland

Reaction score
UPDATE:
I spent the summer all over SE Alaska, and it's very liveable if you're on the street. All your regular hustles work, though sign flying is less common as there are few spots. That aside, in the spring/summer/fall the job opportunities are endless and many of them offer housing or a housing stipend. The busking is good and the local resources are decent.
Camping in the woods is easy, though the bears can be a nuisance. Most places they're just black bears, while some places are entirely populated by brown bears, so just google the area first.
Juneau and Ketchikan are where things are really happening, but to get anywhere else you'll have to fly (about $100-200) or take the bi-monthly ferry ($90) which can take a day or so but you can camp out on the deck. Getting around the islands is easy hitching, often with some limited public transportation.
The southeast is probably the wettest place in America, most of the year round, and that's really the only hard part.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads