Agoraphobic Wanderlust

JohnnyTW

Reaction score
Website
cosmicdrifter.bandcamp.com
Hey StP, beginner tramp here from Toronto Canada. Done some hitching, couchsurfing and a bit of rail yard recon but never hopped.

I'm looking for travel partners and also just to get more involved in the travel community since this is what I want my life to be... I'm interested in any input anyone has about travel with social anxiety, including hitching, busking and trainhopping.

I also want to hear about people's experiences crossing the US-Canada border. Last spring I was planning to head down to Austin, Texas but I got denied at the US border because they thought I was a high risk for illegal employment. I haven't tried crossing the border since then but I think it's going to be pretty difficult because I might be flagged. They're looking for me to be employed, in school, have a rent agreement or a car in order to prove my intent to return to Canada. I'm wondering what other people's experiences have been trying to hitch, walk or bus over the border in either direction. It pisses me off that such arbitrary bullshit can prevent me from seeing the land but what can you do I guess...

Anyway, looking forward to meeting some of you and getting this show on the road. Take care.

Reactions: Mankini and West

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you were denied access across the border then you were probably being too honest. It's not really illegal to lie (meaning, you won't be prosecuted), so don't be afraid to do so. If you get caught or they run your ID just tell them you forgot about such and such offense cause it was forever ago, etc... if they ask if you've ever been before a judge for anything just say no. if you look semi-normal, you'll probably just get waved through.

as for proof of whatever, all that can be faked quite easily. i've already said this on here before, but you can get a generic lease agreement form online or from your local office supply store. make up an address, have one person sign as the landlord and you sign as the leaser, and boom, proof of residence. proof of money can be a prepaid credit card with 200-300 bucks on it. and remember you're allowed up to 90 days (maybe more?) so if 200-300 bucks sounds like not enough to them, tell them you're only in the states for the weekend. also, you can feint self-employment fairly easily.

as you can see, with proper preparation, there's not much reason you shouldn't be able to get into the states.

JohnnyTW

Reaction score
Website
Yeah I was pretty green going into it ... I told them I was going for 2 weeks, which was a lie but seemed like an expected amount of time to me, but I also told them I was unemployed... rookie mistake I guess, but if I had said I was employed I'd have had no way to prove it.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
that's a pretty big subject... all i can say is google freelance work and see how that all goes... i mean, it's not like they're going to ask for your employee identification number. just telll them you work as a freelance graphic designer. paystubs aren't a requirement for crossing the border, just having enough money in your pocket... which is dumb and fucked up, but yeah...

Yeah I was pretty green going into it ... I told them I was going for 2 weeks, which was a lie but seemed like an expected amount of time to me, but I also told them I was unemployed... rookie mistake I guess, but if I had said I was employed I'd have had no way to prove it.

yeah, ive been in your position on the other side, i still haven't been to canada cause i got turned away twice for being dumb about it.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Nah, they don't have any way of tracking you other than than the stamp on your passport. And they don't write down what you tell them. Even if they did, you could be like, "oops, sorry, I was having so much fun I spent a few extra days". They can't do shit about that, it's your prerogative how long you stay (within your visa limit).

Trust me, if I've never been bothered about how long I was in Amsterdam (as long as I'm not there past my visa limit) they're not going to bother you when you go to the states.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
You can fake having money by opening a bank account page taking a print screen of it and fudge the numbers in Microsoft paint or somethin

that's definitely a possibility. but really, if you're at the stage in the conversation where they're asking you for that kind of information, 90% chance you're probably already screwed. appearances are everything in these situations. personally, i'd try and look like a college kid going hiking in europe or some such stereotype. look the part, and you'll find yourself under much less scrutiny.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I appreciate the advice... How about walking over?

oh, i wanted to mention that i think people walk over the border all the time near niagra falls, so i don't think that would be very suspicious.

Reactions: West

West

Squatter Fodder
Reaction score
Hey Johnny, welcome!
I just checked out your bandcamp, I really dig your music! Just threw you a couple bucks for your EP thing.

I'm planning on being in the Vancouver area sometime this August - hitting the road for the first time, hopping freights and camping around Canada for a while this summer. No definite plans but I'll be in Portland late July. If you end up around the area hit me up

D

Deleted member 2626

I got denied border crossing into Canada a few years ago because we said we don't know just wandering. They don't like that. Searched my truck got my dog out and found a slight resin tin. They said in america I would have been detained. But they said come back tomorrow. 1am in the morning we went back with a "plan" and was allowed. With the same border cop too!

JohnnyTW

Reaction score
Website
I got denied border crossing into Canada a few years ago because we said we don't know just wandering. They don't like that. Searched my truck got my dog out and found a slight resin tin. They said in america I would have been detained. But they said come back tomorrow. 1am in the morning we went back with a "plan" and was allowed. With the same border cop too!

Good old Canada... man the guys I dealt with were dicks. I was as calm and as "yes sir, no sir" as I could be and they were fuckin making fun of me, trying to confuse and intimidate me, putting words in my mouth. Then made me wait for 2 hours before fingerprinting and sending me away.

K

Kim Chee

One last question, anyone know if it makes a difference if you were mugshotted and fingerprinted by CBP? Cuz I was

I don't think they will deny you entry because they have record of your attempt. When asked if you were denied entry previously, be sure to say so as lying is going to be considered grounds for automatic refusal. Just have your shit together when you get there and maybe they won't ask.

troublefunk

Reaction score
I too have been denied entry into Canada. I'd been visiting the same friend's for 3 year's and out of the blue last time i tried to visit i was sent straight back to the U.K. I was gutted to say the least! I never got a straight answer as to why i was refused entry either.I supplied all the info they wanted re my job,home,family etc but still send me back.The embassy in London said they couldnt help as it was immigration that sent me packing.That was in 2008,love to go back but cant afford to get put on the next plane home!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads