Adverse Possession issue.

hawksquawks

Reaction score
Evening, so I have been in Adverse Possession of a piece of unregistered land here in the UK for 3 months, and without anyone asking questions. I have been doing allot of work on the land, clearing decades of brambles and preparing it for use. Anyway 3 days ago i moved a caravan onto the land for the purpose of using it for shelter and a place to store things. So today i went up to the land, and as we were unloading to start work on the land, the lady who lived below us stopped and started talking to me. she asked me if i planned to glow stuff on the land, and replied yes, then she asked me if i was going to live on it, of course she would have seen the caravan. The worrying bit was when she asked "Are you renting the land from Sharon or did you purchase it?" The woman in question has lived in the area for over 40 years I knew this from checking surrounding title deeds. She also said to me, "watch out for rabbits, as they eat allot of what's being grew" she was referencing the previous lot who were on the land. The interesting thing, it appears the previous lot using the land were also squatting given how they appeared to hide there presence on the land, and how they left it. of course the concerning issue here, she appears to know who owns it, or at least suggests she does. how would you all read into this situation, is it possible she is bluffing given she said nothing for 3 months? she has passed me several times over the months, and has only now started asking questions. it seems rather odd.

Mika21

Reaction score
That does seem rather odd, I would imagine she would've said something soon after realizing you are living there rather than 3 months after the fact, but who knows?
I think it's tricky with stuff like this, I would try to figure out who this Sharon person is, maybe searching yellow pages or some kind of registry to try and find the next of kin or if the owner is still around, assuming you haven't already.
I mean it's possible the previous people squatting were evicted by the owner or something like that, or maybe this person who pushed them off the land by intimidating them, it's difficult to say really.
I guess the main thing is whether the information that the owner is gone and there aren't any next of kin around, Because I feel like if you know that info to be true and are confident in it being true, whatever she says is just a bluff or just trying to figure you out.

Also, could we get an update on how things have gone since you posted this?

Reactions: Missus

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads