Adventure calls for me

G

GOD HAND 45

Hello, my name is Derek Weisman.
20150810_153638583_iOS.jpg

I am a autistic man who has graduated college with an Associate degree, knows how to drive, and self-published his first book on amazon.
51mxOM0RMRL._SX260_.jpg

The world is a big place and time is slowly slipping away. I want to see what is out there and write about it later. Life is beautiful and short to stare at a screen.
20161007_114322_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
G

GOD HAND 45

Good luck to you, man! Do you know where you're gonna go first?
Well I went to Atlanta Georgia on Greyhound and Texas by car. So I am thinking of going to California.
The only thing that bugs me is how to travel. Cars are expensive in the long run. While Greyhound is a third world country on wheels.
Hell, a guy manged to get through SEAL training with ease because he took the Greyhound daily.

salxtina

Reaction score
welcome! I'm probably also autism-spectrum, was in and out of school for a while and got my BA at 25... I've been tooling around new england on a little 50cc motorbike for the past while, housed up now, was camping a lot in state forests during warmer weather. I hitchhiked across the country a while back and it was a good way to figure out what I actually need in terms of material goods and logistics to be on the move & prepared to sleep/forage in a different place every day. Related maybe to autistic stuff, tho, I tend to get pretty preoccupied w/ learning ecosystems, and am often kind of slow at 'reading' people too, so constant shifting to new environments gets exhausting sometimes. other times it's great though! (also bouncing between different climates/altitudes a lot can really throw yr immune system for a loop!)

Reactions: todd

RobHASboots

Reaction score
I would take a bike. It's just bikes break down easily
Bicycles are cheap.
I find decent posts on Craigslist sometimes. You could spend less than 200 stones (not including panniers/saddlebags), and come away with a decent middle-o-the-road bike.
Other resources include pawn stores, or thrift stores and flea markets.
Bicycles are more easily replaced and/or repaired than motor vehicles.
I think I had better fall in love with these ideas, because I can't afford the van.

RobHASboots

Reaction score
Also Stone Mountain Atlanta Georgia is where I took the picture.
That's awesome. I always wanted to hike the Appalachian Trail. I think you're near the southern trailhead.
It's akin to an odyssey.
...now that I think about it, this is about the time people start trekking north (for a complete thru-hike), to be on the trail for 4 or 5 months. Wow.

tacopirate

Reaction score
I would agree that a bike is the best way to go, depending on the weather. I've been wanting to go the boat route, but it's going to be more than I have to spend. Go for bikes! You must have physical endurance to accomplish what you have.

As for you mentioning autism, I used to tutor kids with Asperger's and found it to be an excellent way to appreciate that not everyone's brain functions in the same manner. I hope you don't mind if I inquire a bot more about your own?

Billy Cougar White

Reaction score
Welcome to StP my friend. You are so right, life is too short to waste it. So many people go their whole lives and never travel, or do anything to make themselves feel alive, so go, be free, and make up your mode of travel as you go. Bike for a while, if your bike breaks down, hitch hike, etc. Be safe out there,and most important, smile every day.

beersalt

Reaction score
Website
m.soundcloud.com
Heya! Glad you made an account on the site. :)
Way to go on publishing a book! I'm trying to do a similar thing at the moment..
Bicycles are rad. Yeah, it's possible that they may have issues, like any mechanism. But there are plenty of resources out there to better educate people in DIY bicycle mechanics, and fix ups. Gathering basic knowledge for minor problems that may occur with a bicycle would be extremely necessary before embarking on a long journey with one. And this would help you have more clarity for going about more major problems that you may face with such a mode of transportation. If you end up goin' through some ultra bike friendly cities, such as Austen TX, Salt Lake City UT (and some others I'm sure peeps on here would name) you'll be able to go to bicycle collectives/ shops full of open, kind hearted people that are happy to help anyone with knowledge about their bike. Some of which are open to trade for helpin' you fix it up*

Good luck! Happy trails

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads