Adopted my pup!

andi

Reaction score
I have been wanting a dog for years now and I finally got her. I picked her up about a week ago from some lady who posted an ad on kijiji, saying that her son was allergic to the dog. She is almost 4 months old, so there is a lot she still needs to learn. I am planning to spend the winter months training her and saving up for travel in the spring time. The one thing I am worried about is raising her for the first few months in a house, then bringing her on the road. I don't want to get her too accustomed to house living and one routine, then suddenly be on the constant move. Maybe as she gets older, I should slowly take her out for longer hikes, car trips, and walk around train yards. Any advice? I don't want to make any wrong decisions and ruin my road dog.

N

Notmyname

Be prepared to have a dog that won't be happy on the road (and in which case you shouldn't force it to)
That being said,
I got my dog on the road and had her for a few months. Then we got housed up for a few months and it fucked her up. Over a month back on the road and she still struggles and isn't as good as she was before. She's happy and all but taking a break from the road fucked up her focus and I'm constantly trying to keep her attention on what we're doing.
Either way, congrats and good luck with the pup

andi

Reaction score
That is good to know. Maybe I should take her on some car trips now that she is young. I just want to try my best to not have her get into a routine. thanks

N

Notmyname

Bring her literally everywhere you can. The lack of stimuli while in a house is what fucked up my dog.

If you wanna simulate traveling with her you gotta do everything together and be constantly teaching her what she can and can't do in a certain situation.

There's time for play and time for business

andi

Reaction score
That is very true. She almost has all of her shots, so when she does, i will start taking her out and about with me everywhere i go

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads