about me

aaronmda

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I was born in a small farm town on the foothills of the NY Adirondack mountains. I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness so between my parents religious fervor and the resulting financial ineptitude i learned to be self reliant right out of the gate. I also had no taste for rules and so not wanting to displease my parents either i became exceptionally skilled at keeping up appearances though i had a few slip ups here and there. My closest friend lived far away so i spent allot of my youth in books video games hiking, and music as well as writing and guitar as i got older and of course day dreaming and pining over whatever had crush i had that year. From as far back as i can remember there was always someone. Well the last decade or so has been a bit different in that respect. Anyway, as i grew older i realized i did not share my parents faith. My ability to lead a double life raised many questions as to the true abilities or even existence of god as i had been taught at the time. I drifted off completely when at the age of 18 my parents decided to move to Ft Lauderdale and i went with them. It widened my horizons far beyond the scope of what my parents religion would allow and so over the next 4 years i just gradually stopped going as i established a career in the early days of the IT industry and made new friends outside of the church. Eventually i moved on my own to Michigan followed 5 months later by Denver and then Boulder, CO 4 years after that. It was the place to be for techies at the time and I was quite successful at working my way up to the titles of associate network engineer and systems administrator with little more then a GED under my belt. Disillusionment ensued as to the nature of success, the social structure and existence in general. I've always had a nose for the truth and an increasingly strong desire to actively seek it out as the years go by. Anyway between those two illustrious job titles i went through a very intense party phase. It lasted for several months, was extremely fun, educational , and tragic, often all at the same time. I tried everything that crossed my path and my original programmed reality had its framework shredded repeatedly and intentionally by me. During the transition from Denver to Boulder, a direct result of the party phase and a relationship, i learned how to grow indoor Ganja and a 2nd beautiful friendship began. Many many, hobbies, fancies, habits, etc, etc.. have come and gone but the Ganja and the Guitar have always stuck with me,.....because i asked them to of course. As a matter of course an absurd series of events led me to leaving the perfect town of Boulder (and it is perfect) for Los Angeles, CA where I immediately became a waiter followed by a wanna be actor meaning i attended an acting workshop which I LOVED and the occasional audition which terrified me. I had some fun, met famous people and pretty much pretty much had what was left of my faith in humanity burned to the ground. I sold most of my belongings, packed and insanely huge backpack, and moved out on to the streets of Venice beach. That's when the adventure truly began. I lasted a few months before being adopted quite readily by the local Hare Krishna temple. I shaved my head, took Harinam initiation and a few months later i found myself in India. I stayed for two years (the initial plan was 3 months). I lived more then I had previously dreamt possible and as if that was not enough I went from there directly to Haifa Israel where I lived with my Druz girlfriend Shirin the complexities of which would surely make a famous book. I worked as a cook in a popular Israeli bar and i will say this, if you want to get an honest feel for the situation over there, spend 8 months around drunk Israeli's. After nearly 3 years I was tired and wanted to come home but really finding home became my new challenge among other things. While i was in Israel i got into watching documentaries after downloading a copy of the first “loose change” shrewdly mis-labeled as a batman movie which is what i thought i was getting. And so began a very long process of understanding “the program”, deprogramming, finding a new program and installing that one which is where you find me today. Several more books worth of adventure under my belt i currently find myself on the road after a very tumultuous year of growth in the mountains of Nevada county. Currently following the wisdom of the seven sacred flames as well as the timeless words of Jiddu Krishnamurti.

p.s. also interested in trim work anywhere in the mendo, humbolt, trinity, sierra area ;)

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
welcome to the forum, nice intro.

One tip though, not wanting to come across shitty, but press the enter key a bit next time and create some paragraphs. People get put off reading stuff when its in one big chunk.

good luck with your adventures.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
hey we have some stuff in common. i love playin guitar, cultivating ganja, reading krishnamurti, and i also was raised JW. :) welcome to the forums

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads