i've lived in two econolines.
they were good for me.
guess it's just a matter of opinion..

Puckett

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Ks is home & damn tornados bring me back everytime
oh man... sorry to hear that.. & yeah barstow is hellish for vehicle problems.. even *little* ones...

just figured i'd post the furnace cement thing for general info.. you can get away with holes about an inch or so.. but, uhmm.. not anything big enough to swallow a body part...

i'm glad you got some bucks for it, though : )

yeah i had to put a cupcake tin in it and jb weld it just so we could move spots cuz the cops kept giving us shit. found a place that could have let me use their welding machines but they wouldnt do it and wouldnt let me do it. so now i say fuck barstow and all their dumb shit town

flashinglights

Reaction score
I had an early 80s chevy g20 conversion with the 305 v8 and it was really reliable. Full panels and someone had pulled everything rear from the captain's chairs, so you could put a gazillion people in back.

TheHawk

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I bought this 1970s terry travel trailer in bumfuck southern md for around 800 bucks. Then I restored the whole damn thing. I had no prior experience, other than all the labor jobs i've had. It was pretty easy, trailers are simple to fix and maintain if you're a little handy. hauled it to sc and stayed in conway for a while. big mistake on that part- fuckin rednecks were charging more than it costs to live where i am right now 1 block from the beach in myrtle. anyway, point being, trailers are a cheap and easy home, but its hard finding somewhere you can park it, and snag electricity. plus you will be using a lot more gas hauling that shit around. I ended up abandoning it, and recently i was living in the back of my bronco after i took the bench seat out, not the worst place i've slept/lived in. saved me money too.
hwktrailerout.jpg
hwktrailermetal.jpg

Reactions: crazy john

deanmoriarty

Reaction score
I've lived in a 1982 Chevy G20 and a 1995 GMC Vandura. The chevy was older and more prone to cooling troubles, but its spacious interior and inviting atmosphere made it stick more fondly in my memory. Personally, I'd never consider an econoline, and the ramvan is a bad joke as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't settle for less than a woodgrain center console, and that plastic shit is - quite frankly - an insult to taste and decency. I'd be interested to hear the opinions of my fellow van enthusiasts.

First Thread
my girlfriend and i live in a 1991 chevy g20 hightop conversion van and tramp it city to city,flying signs and parking at truck stops,walmarts and free camping spots.its all we could ever need...fits in regular spots and such but plenty big enough for us and dog,curtains mean i bring my private living room to every downtown or forest....room to pick up every dirty hitchiker we see....v8 357 lasts forever.old chevys are cheap all over,partly due to gas prices...but shit,we dont pay rent,and we gas jug anyway!we love van dwelling and want to hear from other people doing it...

Caitlin

Reaction score
last sumer my friends moved into the shed i was living in with me, but before that they were living in a jeep liberty. i tried that out and the shed was a much nicer fit. this thread makes me want to try the whole van thing tho, with an actual van ofcourse
Nothing to do with your post really, but how did you make the anarchy and equality signs on the computer? Too nifty for life.

Reactions: crazy john
E

Earth

Ha!! Conversion van, gotta love them :)

Sitting in the front yard is my beloved 1984 Econoline 350 Diesel conversion van, which if you ask me might have had a previous life as either a Brinks truck or Prison transpost truck...

I bought it with the notion of getting back into HVAC-R, but then I decided to convert it into an 8tk analog open reel mobile recording studio - but in the end, it was used more as an equipment truck from back when I was still playing gigs..... Today, it's a storage shed - along side my 79 c-10 p/u truck.......

Ok - lets see..... Dual A/C units, International 6.9 ltr V-8 diesel (non-turbo), 4.88 Dana 60 rear and a HUGE auto trans.. Two fuel tanks - each 20 gal (I'm very seriously thinking converting this ride so one tank is veggie fuel, the other bio diesel - but I really need to research that first...)

Front end is I beam commercial truck style (meaning no wheel alignments are possible - gotta rotate them tires..)

Once did a timed run from here (east derby CT ) to the Three Jolly Pigeons Pub in Bay Ridge Brookyn and back, reconed I averaged about 60 mph (top speed is maybe 68...) but I got 20+ mpg, which when considering this thing weighs empty about 5,000 lbs and it's gvw is just below 10,000 lbs man thats saying something !!

It's loud as hell, looks real menecing for some reason - maybe because it sits super high and has the stereotypical white contractors van with ladder racks look - but we love it and affectionately call her "The Taliban Cruiser" because if there was ever a ride to convert into a truck bomb, that would be it....

Incidently, it always got pulled over going into Queens via the Whitestone Bridge, which I took as a compliment.

L

LeftCoast

I agree that Ram vans blow chunks, but I've been working on a 93 econoline for about a week. I'm impressed so far. The only bothersome bit about it is RUST. I'll need sheet metal and a welder before long, but setting up the interior has been a breeze. It's amazing how some folks deck out their rides.

hey there, I have a van just four years older than yours. Ram vans tend to be a pain in the ass that's for sure. Horrid gas efficiency and finding them in junkyards has always been a pain in the ass. Once I went econoline i doubt i'll ever go back to chrysler or GM.

dolittle

Reaction score
If you are planning to buy a van, this I STRONGLY recommend. Get a high top. My 91 GMC has a fiberglass extention that adds about 2&1/2 feet of hight. Looks creepy as hell! But I'm LOVING the extra head room. Not to mention the extra storage space over the drivers area. I think once I get a better paint job, my van won't look so much like a Chester-the-molester ride.

L

LeftCoast

I
If you are planning to buy a van, this I STRONGLY recommend. Get a high top. My 91 GMC has a fiberglass extention that adds about 2&1/2 feet of hight. Looks creepy as hell! But I'm LOVING the extra head room. Not to mention the extra storage space over the drivers area. I think once I get a better paint job, my van won't look so much like a Chester-the-molester ride.

I converted a Chevy Van 30 at one point. Put in a fiberglass high top roof. Ran me 65 bucks at a junkyard in Arkansas. Wasn't too bad. Great for comfort and being able to stand depending on your height. There are some drawbacks in certain cities or towns where they outlaw sleeping in your vehicle. Sure it was nice to have the room, but I experienced more trouble with the law. I put about 40,000 miles on that van. It was pretty good till I threw a rod in that beast. Also, exhaust manifold got SUPER leaky. Right now, I am not using an extended roof, and so far it's actually been pretty good. It makes for sleeping in the city a lot more easy and discrete. If I was somewhere in the midwest or in a more rural place I would get a high top hands down. Now that doolittle mentions it, I almost miss that van more than I should. Fuck you rod breakin on me and shit.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads