40 Hole Harmonica?

Hatta

Lurker
I'm not a musically inclined person at all however when I was living in my car, my 10 hole cheapie and my Johnny Hobo CD were my best friends. I only learned to play by memorization, I can't read a scale and my old harp is now deceased. I've got a chance to get a 40 hole but I figured I'd ask if anyone here has used one. More importantly would you recommend it or should I hold out until I can get a normal one?

acrata4ever

Wanderer
what kind of 40 hole? ive always played a 10 hole diatonic. ive tried other chromatic tremelo but theyre useless for blues and completely cut my balls off.

OP
Hatta

Hatta

Lurker
I just got it and it's weird, 2 rows of 20 holes. A few lonelier nights will be spent trying to learn to play it. I miss my 10 hole diatonic. I've always been interested in trying a chromatic but too many people have told me the same thing. They're too expensive for my budget anyhow.

acrata4ever

Wanderer
i had a 10 hole chromatic took 7 years to break in for blues it got stolen. i got another one and blew it out breaking it in too fast. i play a special 20 now thats it. there is a tremello harp im interested in called the highlander. its microtonal like bagpipes. i want to use it for an indian harmonium while i play 3 string indian bass dotara with my right hand or tanpura. but i cant even play that campfire bob dylan neil young shit any more. you need a 10 hole diatonic to blow someones face off with or without a mic.

acrata4ever

Wanderer
its not a matter of playing i can play skip to my lou on any gay style harmonica. i can only play sonny boy williamson II with a 10 hole diatonic or a 10-12 hole big marine band. and i can do more with 5 strings or less than i can with 6 no matter what string i break i can still play. a double decked harp is impossible to break rules and play bent/microtonal notes on. it simply cuts your balls off. if youre a rule breaker and have a preference for afro-oriental music. its like the difference between steel and nylon strings a big difference.

J

Johnny P

I deleted myself
I have both and I much prefer to play my 10 hole diatonic. the 40 hole chromatic is tough. It is like a piano for the mouth

Similar threads

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$100.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $100.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Trying to decide between colorado and portland.
In Winslow, AZ, and then on to Holbrook, with the Box. Anyone around these parts?
Takin a break from work to head up to Laramie for a few days to play some shows this weekend. Thank fuck, I need this.
BirdDaddy wrote on Tommythecat's profile.
Welcome to STP man!
BirdDaddy wrote on jypzi's profile.
You deleted you?
ALmost to Vegas, and I started getting dizzy

I am not made for the ruggedness of traveling all the time

Adieu
My eyes are A okay!!! I guess floaters squiggly lines heat waves flashing lights cloudy and blurred vision are normal...I guess. It's new to me, and realy hard tk.get use to. I have had better than perfact vision my entire life. I still do too, I just have shit in my field of vision somtimes nowadays I guess
Just did my first single handed sailing trip. Video to come if I can figure out how to edit video clips

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $100.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
St George