40 Hole Harmonica?

Hatta

Lurker
I'm not a musically inclined person at all however when I was living in my car, my 10 hole cheapie and my Johnny Hobo CD were my best friends. I only learned to play by memorization, I can't read a scale and my old harp is now deceased. I've got a chance to get a 40 hole but I figured I'd ask if anyone here has used one. More importantly would you recommend it or should I hold out until I can get a normal one?

acrata4ever

Wanderer
what kind of 40 hole? ive always played a 10 hole diatonic. ive tried other chromatic tremelo but theyre useless for blues and completely cut my balls off.

OP
Hatta

Hatta

Lurker
I just got it and it's weird, 2 rows of 20 holes. A few lonelier nights will be spent trying to learn to play it. I miss my 10 hole diatonic. I've always been interested in trying a chromatic but too many people have told me the same thing. They're too expensive for my budget anyhow.

acrata4ever

Wanderer
i had a 10 hole chromatic took 7 years to break in for blues it got stolen. i got another one and blew it out breaking it in too fast. i play a special 20 now thats it. there is a tremello harp im interested in called the highlander. its microtonal like bagpipes. i want to use it for an indian harmonium while i play 3 string indian bass dotara with my right hand or tanpura. but i cant even play that campfire bob dylan neil young shit any more. you need a 10 hole diatonic to blow someones face off with or without a mic.

acrata4ever

Wanderer
its not a matter of playing i can play skip to my lou on any gay style harmonica. i can only play sonny boy williamson II with a 10 hole diatonic or a 10-12 hole big marine band. and i can do more with 5 strings or less than i can with 6 no matter what string i break i can still play. a double decked harp is impossible to break rules and play bent/microtonal notes on. it simply cuts your balls off. if youre a rule breaker and have a preference for afro-oriental music. its like the difference between steel and nylon strings a big difference.

J

Johnny P

I deleted myself
I have both and I much prefer to play my 10 hole diatonic. the 40 hole chromatic is tough. It is like a piano for the mouth