2022 Jamboree 2022 Dirty Scouts Jamboree Location Discussion Thread

Threads with this prefix are related to the 2022 Jamboree.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Generally I try to announce a time/location for this year's Dirty Scouts Jamboree around February or March, but due to the pandemic and other shit going on in my life I just haven't been able to get around to it until now. Additionally, I am personally in a weird transitionary state right now (moving out of my apartment, into my van, resuming travels, etc) so I will be taking less of an active part in organizing this year's event.

This means that it's basically up to all of you to make things happen this year. Hopefully this won't be dramatic as it sounds, as folks did a fine job of organizing things on their own last year when my flight to Washington state was cancelled last minute, and I had to miss the first Jambo since we started it here on StP. Unless folks pick some kind of truly exotic/inconvenient location/date, I am making it a point to drive my van to wherever people decide to meet and help support the meetup.

It seems like the Pacific Northwest (Oregon/Washington/Idaho) will probably be the most convenient location for most folks this year, but I leave it up to you to decide. Some of you might want to keep in mind that when deciding on a date, both Punks in the Woods and Southern Oregon Punx Picnic are going to be on September 4th, so if you're interested in attending those events (like I am) you'll probably want to choose the dates of the Jamboree accordingly.

It's up to you to decide the when/where/what of this year's jamboree, so please feel free to use this thread for discussion and organization of the meetup.

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Reaction score
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
I'm so down for doing something in the PNW! I'm out in Northern Idaho for the summer and should have my schedule figured out soon so could make sure I'm available if we have a vote on the dates soon.

Maybe we can do a national forest camp spot near a lake/stream annnnd a hot spring? Montana or Idaho would be awesome and I could help scout and plan. Thoughts? Or are people set on WA/OR?

Reactions: Crazy Hobo Johnny

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I'm so down for doing something in the PNW! I'm out in Northern Idaho for the summer and should have my schedule figured out soon so could make sure I'm available if we have a vote on the dates soon.

Maybe we can do a national forest camp spot near a lake/stream annnnd a hot spring? Montana or Idaho would be awesome and I could help scout and plan. Thoughts? Or are people set on WA/OR?
I'm open to MT although I think WA/OR might be easier for some folks but that's just a guess. I do really like the idea of a hot springs though!

AlexKnoch

Reaction score
Website
AlexKnoch.com
Hot springs sounds nice! Do you have any spots in mind??

Last week of August??

jimi

Reaction score
I doubt I'll be able to make it unless it's in the PNW.

My van is a little rickety and gas prices have had me basically stuck in town, but I'm based in the Portland area for now, so if anyone has gas pitch and wants to go scouting for spots (or just camping for a night or so) around here in the coming month or two, lemme know!

Scat

Global Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
roaddogs.cfw.me
I won't be able to make it unless it's PNW. Always wanted to attend one of these! Might I suggest NorCal? There's some really sweet camping spots in the Smith River National Recreation area. Would be closer to Southern Oregon Punx Picnic than the other event though.

Waldorf

Reaction score
Website
www.twitch.tv
IDK where to have it tbh, id say North East USA as thats where MOST americans live and the way there and from is simple and easy.

NYC is dope, doubles as a GREAT tourist destination and lots of members live here. id house 3 ppl for it

superphoenix

Reaction score
IDK where to have it tbh, id say North East USA as thats where MOST americans live and the way there and from is simple and easy.

NYC is dope, doubles as a GREAT tourist destination and lots of members live here. id house 3 ppl for it
All due respect, most travelers end up out West and the northeast is often too dense to have a chill get together in any easily accessible natural spot (which NYC decidedly is not).

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
As somebody who lives in NYC, this place is a fucking shithole and there's a lot of things that would not be possible with Jambo here. The cops would bust it up in minutes. Drunk in public, massive group sleeping on the street, etc
The only places viable out on this side of the country would be Maine, Vermont or Pennsylvania and maybe some places a little further south like NC or eastern Maryland

Reactions: superphoenix

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
At this point, due to most people's posted availabilities and practical/logistical reasons, the Jambo will be in the PNW this year for sure, so let's move on with picking a location in that area :)

Jerrell

Reaction score
I'm working full time Fri-Tues at a resort near Shasta, so I'm limited this year. I miiight be able to swing switching shifts with someone tho.

If y'all find a spot within a couple hrs driving, I'll try to make it.

I've found some spots on Sacramento River headwater creeks around Lake Siskiyou that would work, but cell service is limited and no hot springs that I know of.

This would be the first one I've missed since the last one at the Library. 😕 Even met up with some folks all unofficial like in 2020.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
okay, here's another pitch (copy/pasted from website):

East Lake Hot Springs​

Type: Public

Hot Springs Fee: Free (NW Forest Pass required for parking)

Smell that potent sulfur air? That probably means you’re close to East Lake Hot Springs. Located a short 0.3-mile hike along the shore of East Lake, these pools present the option to control the temperature based upon how much lake water you allow to mingle with the hot spring source. The pools range in temperature from 100-120 degrees and tend to be less busy than the neighboring Paulina Lake Hot Springs.

East Lake Resort offers the easiest access to the hot springs hike and accommodation options ranging from wooden cabins to tent sites and RV parking. There are six primitive lakeside tent spots which allow two tents and two cars per site and cost $25 per night. Potable water is available, along with porta-potties near the camping area.

Pay showers and flushable toilets are located at the nearby RV sites, roughly a 5-min walk. East Lake offers online reservations for tent sites and welcomes walk-ins during the months of May, June, and September.

There's a few free camp sites (looking at freecampsites.net) nearish East Lake, starting with this one here, which should be plenty big enough:

I'll have my vehicle and I'm assuming Jerrel will have theirs, and it's in central oregon so most folks shouldn't have trouble making it (@Scat @jimi).

I know @Koala's availability is August 8th to 14th, so maybe we could do Aug 8th-10th (i.e. Mon-Wed) and then @Jerrell can make it as well.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

Koala

Reaction score
Website
Another suggestion I have is Snively Hot Spring a little further east in Oregon. Lots of nice camping down by the river there and a big dammed lake further down the paved road which is perfect for swimming, some cliff jumping and kayaking/boating.

I've been there a number of times and always have a great time. It's very immersed in nature out there but easily accessible by a paved road. There are pit toilets at the spring. Short few hundred feet walk down to the spring. Less than a mile down to the camp areas, many of which have some shade from trees. Lake Owyhee is a gorgeous 30 min drive from the hot spring and there's a gas station/small grocery a 15min drive from the hot spring.

This spot is a bit further east next to the Idaho border but let me know what yall think! @Matt Derrick East Lake looks really pretty but I wanted to suggest something that wasn't as near yuppie tourist areas lol.

Here's photos I've taken near Snively:

OI001070.JPG

The hot spring

20210805_121116.jpg

Lake Owyhee

OI001084.JPG

One of many camping areas

Koala

Reaction score
Website
In response to Umpqua, I've been there and it's a pretty location, but there isn't much room in the pools. There were like 3 small pools for 2 to 3 people each maximum and Umpqua Hot Spring is very busy.

But Umpqua National Forest looks like it has many amazing shady camp and swim spots so I'm gonna keep looking into that. I realize Snively is probably too far for Jerrell to get to on their work schedule and August would be insanely hot weather out there.

@Jerrell would Umpqua National Forest be doable for you? :) What about Matt's suggestion?

EDIT:

Here's a free camp site with pit toilets and picnic tables near Umpqua that looks decent. Also there were a few primitive spots listed on iOverlander that also looked nice. There are waterfalls and swim spots in creeks and rivers in the area too we could check out.

Last edited:
Reactions: rivervictor
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads