Worst Hicthing ever

Blu

Reaction score
That, or stuck in between Idaho Falls and Butte, with no water and nowhere to get water, and the cars going 80 mph (who the hell is going to stop when they're going that fast?).

Same thing happened to me in Utah between Moab and Grand Junction. I walked thirteen miles in 96 degree heat. Honestly, didn't hate it too much though, there was kind of a rush pushing myself to keep walking. And at the end of it, a pudgy guy in suspenders gave me two freezing cold tall boys.

Reactions: Odin

kerouac

Reaction score
damn, these stories make me appreciate the luck i've had. i've only hitched in canada and from what i've heard it seems easier to catch rides here.
once i was on a train that got ditched in thunder bay, slept under a bridge and had to walk for a couple hours to get to the highway the next day. on the way i tried to jump across a swampy ditch beside the highway to check a dumpster for cardboard and didn't make it across, got my shoes and pants soaked in the oily water. got to the highway and met a dude who was trying to hitch to ottawa, he'd been there for a long time already and left shortly after i arrived to go to the greyhound station. i waited for close to 8 hours before being picked up. not bad at all compared to other stories here but i've never experienced such consistent heckling from drivers before - i.e. people yelling insults and threats at me, mocking me, flipping me off, etc.
my fuck is thunder bay ever a shitty town to have to pass through.

dyingslowlyeveryday

Reaction score
I spent 4 days at a weird exit between Chattanooga and Knoxville. A Loves, random local truck stop and an exxon a mile away. Loves night shift were awesome, free drinks, free (old) hot dogs, free showers, connected McDonald's threw you extra food.. Cool to chill inside all night.

But then day shift.. if they saw you even across the street, copscopscops. They put up a few fliers at the trucker doors, talking about how dangerous, mentally ill and unclean hitchhikers are. Telling us if they found you camping in the woods around, they'd legally shoot you, because they supposedly owned all the surrounding land.

There were six other travelers when I arrived. Two had been there for weeks, given up, settled into homebumin. One guy tried walking down the interstate, but about two hours later A COP BROUGHT HIM BACK.. He said he was only about 2 miles from the next ramp. So then me and a couple decided to just walk 4 miles into town and cut down a parallel highway. We were crossing a narrow bridge past the town when a cop comes roaring up, full lights, full siren. Handcuffs us all, searches (trashes) our packs, then loads us into the car. Are we going to jail? Nope. Back to the exit with obstruction of traffic tickets. We spent the last of our money on a case of beer and drank all night on the ramp. 2:30am a pickup truck pulls over to finally take us the fuck outta there.

"Don't you know man? This is our hell. This where us hitchhikers come to die.."
-Bama Bandit, Loves homebum, somewhere between Chattanooga and Knoxville

• Haha
Reactions: urchin and kerouac

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads