Question Which seat in a car do you take?

CyrusTheGreat

Reaction score
I’ll be soon hitchhiking for the first time and wanted to ask one thing. Where do you sit in a car for 5. Do you sit as far from driver as possible? Or do you sit right next to him? I can see pros and cons for both of options.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I usually put my pack in the backseat and sit in the front seat.

It's not a taxi and I think it could be seen as rude if you don't sit next to the driver if there's space.

When in doubt, just ask where you should sit.
I agree with alex, 90% of the time you'll be in the passenger seat unless it's taken already. I rarely did this in my hitching days, but the prevailing method nowadays is to keep your pack in your lap instead of putting it somewhere difficult to get (back seat, trunk) in case the person picking you up is crazy and you need to bail.

AlexKnoch

Reaction score
Website
AlexKnoch.com
I agree with alex, 90% of the time you'll be in the passenger seat unless it's taken already. I rarely did this in my hitching days, but the prevailing method nowadays is to keep your pack in your lap instead of putting it somewhere difficult to get (back seat, trunk) in case the person picking you up is crazy and you need to bail.
It's definitely better to have your pack on your lap.

I used to put it on my lap until my pack got bigger and I got fatter.

I've also added a airtag tracker and a motion/panic alarm to my pack to help just in case.

Once someone drove off with my backpack (I think they forgot about it) so I hit the panic alarm and they pulled right over.

I now try to remind them about my pack before I even get out.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
It's definitely better to have your pack on your lap.

I used to put it on my lap until my pack got bigger and I got fatter.

I've also added a airtag tracker and a motion/panic alarm to my pack to help just in case.

Once someone drove off with my backpack (I think they forgot about it) so I hit the panic alarm and they pulled right over.

I now try to remind them about my pack before I even get out.
that's an awesome tip (i have the same problem by the way haha) is that an apple airtag or a different brand?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads