Which knots are useful or rarely used? | Squat the Planet

Which knots are useful or rarely used?

Lin

Reaction score
I'm trying to learn as much as I can before heading out. I'd really appreciate any advice because I can imagine things ending poorly if I mess these up. These are the ones I've tried out so far.

Attachments

• 1603050030850.png
    1603050030850.png
    919.1 KB · Views: 241

ali

Reaction score
In my traveling life which has primarily been indoors, i have used reef knot (tie two ends together) and clove hitch (tie to a solid object). They're both easy to tie and untie. I also learned bowline (create a loop) and figure 8 (create a bump) a long time ago, but i haven't found much use for them and probably couldn't tie them without looking it up. Depending on what you're doing, it might be more useful to have a couple of carabiners and some bungees or straps, since those can be used to secure things much faster if it's raining or you are tired/hungover/whatever.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Double truckers hitch. Not sure what it's officially called but it's just two basic loop knots around 2-3 feet apart and you run your rope back through each one and they act like pulleys. You can create insane tension with that setup. It's great for paracord and tarp rigging, along with numerous other purposes.

make sure to turn your volume all the way up, it's critical to learning this knot.

• Useful
Reactions: Lin and snailormoon

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Most useful knots IMO:

-Figure 8 (follow through, on a bight, double)
-Bowline
-Clove Hitch
-Water Knot (for joining flat webbing/straps)
-Double Fishermans (join 2 ropes together, fix fishing line)
-Tautline hitch
-Double Truckers
-Prussik Hitch
-Double overhand
-Alpine Butterfly (Stationary loop in working line)

Here is an awesome website on how to tie all sorts of knots:

Animated Knots by Grog

Lin

Reaction score
Dang, these all look really useful. I might just be tying clotheslines or making repairs since I'm going for a bivy, but the double trucker's knot will be good to know in case I get a tarp or hammock someday.

floridaboater

Reaction score
Grab a piece of paracord or small line, keep it with you and practice tying knots throughout the day. Start with the list Coywolf provided, learn the first, then the second, etc. Take your time until they become second nature. Don't stress over learning them, just relax and tie :)

Reactions: Odin and Lin

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads