What is a good starter pack for a newbie? Also am I packing enough or too little?

Simplifeye

Reaction score
Currently planning a one way trip halfway across the country (Orange County, CA to Chicago) and I feel like I am lacking the bare minimum for a pack. I currently have a larger size backpack. Should I just buy a medium alice pack? I plan on packing: (one of the following clothing items will be worn at any given time) 3 t-shirts, two jeans, one pair of shorts, 4-5 pairs of socks, 3 pairs of underwear, 2 pairs of shoes, a spiral notebook, my sketchbook, a few pens and pencils, box of contact lenses (or just wear my glasses), fixed blade knife, 2 lighters, a few books, some waters and food. And I will be carrying my skateboard. The current backpack has 2 large compartments, 1 medium and 1 small compartment. Please suggest some other things to bring if necessary. This is also my first "big" trip. Thanks bros.

Reactions: Rico Quiroz

maximussupertramp

Reaction score
1 pair of cloths and as many socks as you can fit! but that's just me. i had an alice pack and i hated it, rugged but not very comfortable. internal frame hiking packs are really the way to go, you can get them in variety of sizes and prices. but its really all personal preference, i left home with probably a 60 lb pack, and 3 months later i just had a jansport runaway pack with a sleeping bag straped to it. btw no sleeping bag?

bryanpaul

Reaction score
plenty of threads in this section to look through that can answer this..........basically depends on how much money you have to spend....if you have a good bit of cash go to a REI or dicks sporting goods or whatever type place and get a nice comfy internal frame pack........also if you got some cheddar invest in a lightweight sleepin bag....your back will thank you.......if you dont got money then.....alice packs or walmart packs(even tho i think the walmart hiking pack is like 60 dollars now).....but yeah dont stress too much on it....just get out there......you'll be out and about for a couple weeks and be like "oh shit i need this"....or " man fuck, why the fuck am i carrying this around....i dont need it".....eventually your pack will evolve into having everything you need........dont forget playing cards :)

Reactions: Saidy

Simplifeye

Reaction score
1 pair of cloths and as many socks as you can fit! but that's just me. i had an alice pack and i hated it, rugged but not very comfortable. internal frame hiking packs are really the way to go, you can get them in variety of sizes and prices. but its really all personal preference, i left home with probably a 60 lb pack, and 3 months later i just had a jansport runaway pack with a sleeping bag straped to it. btw no sleeping bag?

When you say a "jansport runaway pack" is that just a plain ol' jansport backpack?

F

Firefly

Cheap Medium Alice is best in my opinion, can get them pretty cheap from surplus stores. But don't buy one at the price they want, find one that isn't in the best shape cosmetically and haggle it down about 10 dollars. Paid 30 dollars for mine with new frame and straps. As long as the threads are good the stains and marks won't effect its performance. Wouldn't pack it above 15-20lbs including water and food. I worried a lot about underpacking my first time out, but after a few days I realized I was carrying TOO much shit.

Forget the contacts, wear glasses. If you can get an extra heavy duty pair, take them. From what I've heard contacts are a pain in the ass while traveling. Also bring a scratch proof cloth so you can clean your glasses. I'd get a lightweight sleep system like said above. Water is more important than food; Three weeks without food, three days without water.

Just remember some of the people here travel with hardly anything, clothes on the back, sleeping bag, smoke, and a jug of water. They do just fine, but they've been doing it for a long time. It really only comes down to your experience and comfort level, which you'll build on that experience as you go. How are you traveling?

Simplifeye

Reaction score
Cheap Medium Alice is best in my opinion, can get them pretty cheap from surplus stores. But don't buy one at the price they want, find one that isn't in the best shape cosmetically and haggle it down about 10 dollars. Paid 30 dollars for mine with new frame and straps. As long as the threads are good the stains and marks won't effect its performance. Wouldn't pack it above 15-20lbs including water and food. I worried a lot about underpacking my first time out, but after a few days I realized I was carrying TOO much shit.

Forget the contacts, wear glasses. If you can get an extra heavy duty pair, take them. From what I've heard contacts are a pain in the ass while traveling. Also bring a scratch proof cloth so you can clean your glasses. I'd get a lightweight sleep system like said above. Water is more important than food; Three weeks without food, three days without water.

Just remember some of the people here travel with hardly anything, clothes on the back, sleeping bag, smoke, and a jug of water. They do just fine, but they've been doing it for a long time. It really only comes down to your experience and comfort level, which you'll build on that experience as you go. How are you traveling?

I plan on traveling by freight. I know the routes and everything but just worry about getting lost while out of state.

NBDDreamer

On the move
Reaction score
There are always things to pick up on the road. After a few days you'll know what you're not using. The best advice I would give is go as cheap as possible your first time out. That way, anything you toss isn't a big deal. If you're going to be wilderness camping, pick up a book at the library about what to bring. If you're staying in urban areas, you don't need nearly as much shit.

The biggest trouble for me on the road is keeping my feet in good repair. Bring moleskin, foot powder, buy good shoes, and three pairs of good wool socks. For hoboing, boots will last the longest and be most comfortable IMHO, check out REI. Their return policy means you can destroy boots and walk in years later and get new boots for free.

Reactions: Saidy

RSTY802510

[NERD]
Reaction score

Bizarre Odor

Reaction score
Old thread, and im sure you have hit the road already but maybe this would be useful to someone else. Don't ever wear contacts..I can't tell how many times I scratched the lens of my eye by picking up grit and weird shit inside my contacts. Lucky that eyes are one of the fastest healing parts of your body, but still schlepping around with fucked up eyes is no good. If you know your prescription, there is a site called coastalcontacts.com that offer promotional codes for freebie frames from time to time.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads