Question what do yall think of my current gear list? (click for list)

Reaction score
hey yall, i posted this in this section because it covers like... every section, and I thought posting each individual thing in its own section would annoy people with spam posts. if this should go somewhere else ill gladly move the post.

anyway, im in the process of getting a list of gear, and figuring out general cost. stole almost all of it from the StP gear list / guide, but lmk if theres anything i should change. I made a giant cart on amazon and everything should be 500-600 bucks, but thats with shitty amazon gear, so i'l narrow stuff down to higher quality items later.

stuff that i already have:
  • most clothing
  • most hygiene
  • most tech

stuff that i need:
  • tools
  • camp
  • food
  • papers
  • entertainment

1727290687339.png

• Best of Luck!
Reactions: MetalBryan

ali

Reaction score
Looks good to me, if a little heavy.

Some people bring a favorite or meaningful book, but I would recommend just ditching it and reading on your phone instead. Ditto Gameboy, you can play those same games in an emulator on your phone. Flashlight and maps? Also on your phone. Knife, saw and Leatherman duplicate each other too, imo, but some people love those multitools. Bear in mind you're not gonna be able to take that kind of stuff on a plane unless it's checked baggage so don't waste too much money on it if you plan to fly anywhere.

If you want a personal recommendation on hygiene, depending where you plan to go, sun block is going to be more valuable than chap stick, unless you completely cover up from neck to ankle like a Bedouin. On similar note, anywhere hot, flip-flops or sandals could be a lifesaver. Upside, you can lose the thermals if you're sticking to warmer climates, and your sleep system will be lighter too. Replacing your hoodie with a puffy jacket which can be rolled up very tiny or a merino wool longsleeve that is light and dries fast might make you look like a yuppie hiker douchebag, but your body will thank you for not lugging heavy cotton shit all over the world. Ditto jeans, work pants with some polyester or nylon will dry faster and weigh less.

MetalBryan

Reaction score
Here's a post I made about an alice pack I had when first starting to put it together.

Alice pack is okay but not great for the back especially when loaded up like it seems you're doing. There were some redundancies in my pack, just like on your list. If you're settled on the pack, before you buy all the other gear, load it up (follow a load guide for backpacking) with just random stuff from your pantry or house mimicking the same weight - then walk around.

Two things about your list - your papers is too many eggs in one basket. Find a safe place for your SS, Birth Cert, and ID with someone you trust that would be reliable in an emergency to mail them to you. Then just travel with your passport. Everywhere you need it will accept it as real ID. Second, if you have the money Whole Foods organic instant coffee is the best I've found by a long shot.

Reaction score
Looks good to me, if a little heavy.

Some people bring a favorite or meaningful book, but I would recommend just ditching it and reading on your phone instead. Ditto Gameboy, you can play those same games in an emulator on your phone. Flashlight and maps? Also on your phone. Knife, saw and Leatherman duplicate each other too, imo, but some people love those multitools. Bear in mind you're not gonna be able to take that kind of stuff on a plane unless it's checked baggage so don't waste too much money on it if you plan to fly anywhere.

If you want a personal recommendation on hygiene, depending where you plan to go, sun block is going to be more valuable than chap stick, unless you completely cover up from neck to ankle like a Bedouin. On similar note, anywhere hot, flip-flops or sandals could be a lifesaver. Upside, you can lose the thermals if you're sticking to warmer climates, and your sleep system will be lighter too. Replacing your hoodie with a puffy jacket which can be rolled up very tiny or a merino wool longsleeve that is light and dries fast might make you look like a yuppie hiker douchebag, but your body will thank you for not lugging heavy cotton shit all over the world. Ditto jeans, work pants with some polyester or nylon will dry faster and weigh less.

thank you! i’ll cut down my list as far as i can

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads