Cancelled We are moving to the Discourse message board platform!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlongtheRay

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Website
alongtheray.com
Unfortunately, the end result of about 4-5 days of testing was that I could not get the attachments (i.e. files and photos) to make the move over to the new platform, so I had to give up and for the foreseeable future we will be continuing on the xenforo platform.

It's always tough to migrate to other platforms so that's completely understandable.

If it's any consolation I actually prefer Xenforo (and your implementation of it is one of the best I've seen) over Discourse because it doesn't feel as "dry" if that makes sense.

Ray

P.S. If Xenforo's license fees are an issue, I would be happy to donate to extend your license by a year, just let me know how I can do that.

• Epic
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
If Xenforo's license fees are an issue, I would be happy to donate to extend your license by a year, just let me know how I can do that.
I'd sure appreciate that, our license just expired. We pay 95/year for that. You don't have to cover the whole thing, but any contributions can be sent to:

https://squattheplanet.com/donate/donate-to-stp.2/donate

Or PayPal.me/matthewderrick

Thanks! I'm actually kind of relieved now because xenforo isn't terrible, and now I have the time to move on to other projects.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Reactions: AlongtheRay

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
So unfortunately I've found a bug in the import that doesn't bring in the photo attachments from the past 5 years or so (but it does bring in attachments before then?) it's weird but i think i have an idea about why it's happening so i'll be working on that over the next few days. i figured in the meantime i'd open the site back up until I get that figured out.

Reactions: ali

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
So I'm going to try and sum this up as shortly as I can, since I just don't have the energy to go through and explain all that went wrong. Suffice to say that things didn't go as planned, and after several days of struggling to make things work, I got frustrated to the point where I never wanted to look at the website again. After taking a break for a few days, I calmed down and decided this kind of migration just isn't in the cards for us anytime soon. I will revisit this idea in maybe a year or so, and in the meantime some folks are going to come in and help me with the admin side of things to I'm not so prone to collapsing under the weight of having to do everything myself. Thanks to everyone in advance for their understanding, apologies for the downtime, we should be good and stable for a while now.

Reactions: ali
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads