Washingtonian about to start an adventure | Squat the Planet

Washingtonian about to start an adventure

Mongoliito

Reaction score
Hi, im Diego, and the following is a bit ranty so TLDR at the bottom, but my mom liked how i was a happy simpleton in my younger days so ive taken her mean name of endearment to myself, Mongolito which means mongoloid which means like you dummy but now i claim it. long story short, im one of those guys that just cant hold a job. something always defeats me, maybe its the minimum wage hustle under the fast food manager that doesnt really care about you more than impressing the district manager, maybe its my addiction to computers taking away from other areas of my life, maybe its my lack of family and community, or all of these things bringing my life down and making its vitality weaker.

i am going to live on the road in the woods, campgrounds, maybe intentional communities later on but most of all i want to find myself and break away from "modern civilization" especially now i see it all to much that people find narratives and live for them not realizing they are denying their own spirits and bringing suffering to the world by leaving it behind for a perceived idea of bettering the world.

ok enough of that stuff, im starting from tri cities Washington and im really thinking about going toward the Olympic peninsula or more coastal side of the state. i would really like to find somewhere to set some roots, maybe in a place a decent distance away from people where no one would tear down my future hypothetical wooden fortress, or authorities wouldn't get mad at me for squatting. ive also looked a little into intentional communities specifically ones that offer some sort of work in exchange for staying there, but as stated i have had issues with work before, i know this would be very different and maybe i would love it, but i would like to do more self searching and become a more full person before asking a community to accept me. i think loneliness will be my biggest issue

i have a beach wagon i bought from walmart thats carrying my tent, sleeping bag, food, clothes etc
104408536_2468870323337934_3470299958061538342_n.jpg

TLDR; I cant jive with the modern american way and so im going on down the road with a tent and gonna find my own way and really hopefully find my own love

Kenada

Reaction score
Hey glad to hear your starting your journey! If you are thinking of getting away from civilization you might think about getting a good backpack for your gear. Legs travel through forests a lot easier than wheels. I hope you stay safe out there!

Reactions: LuckyMinnie

LuckyMinnie

Reaction score
You might want to get a WWOOF membership. It's an organization where you can work on an organic farm for room and board. It's a learning opportunity. And it will buy you some time to think about what you want to do. As a mama who has pushed strollers miles and miles and miles.....I can say you're going to have issues with that wagon. Do you still have the receipt? Maybe you can get your money back. Or sell it on Craigslist. The wheels are going to break down on you in possibly a month or so, maybe earlier. And if you're already kind of dependant on the wagon, when it breaks down that will suck bigtime. If you can't get your money back, you may as well use it for now. But be very prepared for the day when you don't have it anymore. Get used to wearing a backpack and try to plan and visualize how you're going to do things when you don't have the wagon anymore. There are people who hike thousands of miles as a hobby and they post videos on YouTube. You can get a lot of tips from them. Obviously, a lot of these people come from a very financially secure background and therefore can afford better gear than folks like us, but their information is still very valuable.

Mongoliito

Reaction score
hi all im really happy to find this site is this active! ive been thinking about the wagon and how long it would last me, i was hoping it would be a month at least. maybe im just one of those typical over preparer newbies, so yeah im just gonna drag it into the ground and from there i have my backpack that i did test out on its own and it worked, just it was hard AF on my collarbone and shoulders. but i think i can learn over time to pack lighter and lighter and i still have a decent amount of money to start with and buy things online for better materials and such, mostly i was just concerned about carrying enough food. some of the trails dont have food for potentially three days which would be rough but doable i suppose. in modern civilization im a bit of an overeater. maybe its just dreaming but im hoping that outside will bring more presence and i wont be so eager to eat all the time to escape my mind since i will be using my body more. again thank you all for just being here thats super awesome you rock

Mongoliito

Reaction score
You might want to get a WWOOF membership.
i havent heard of that, thats definitely something i will look into. however again i do want o make some changes and do some self searching on myself before i ask others to accept me. not sure how long that will take or if i could do that while in a work exchange program idk

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads