Uses for a Raspberry Pi?

The Drifter

Reaction score
Has anyone got a Raspberry Pi? I've been thinking about getting one for sometime but haven't pinned down how I would use it. I could put bluestacks on it and it could become my phone backup as far as apps are concerned, maybe put a AM FM radio on it, a torch. Would like to try and make it a multitask vagabond box.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
well, to be totally pragmatic/realistic, you'd need an interface (keyboard/mouse/touchscreen), so by the time you've bought the latest pi4, and accessories, you're already well within range of a decent smartphone. additionally, a pi doesn't have a battery. even if you bought the pi 400 (which is a pi 4 inside a keyboard) you'd still need power and a screen, so it's not really all that practical for outdoor/travel situations.

what would be more practical is a cheap good smart phone, with a custom os that lets you do whatever you want. if you want suggestions, let me know.

The Drifter

Reaction score
well, to be totally pragmatic/realistic, you'd need an interface (keyboard/mouse/touchscreen), so by the time you've bought the latest pi4, and accessories, you're already well within range of a decent smartphone. additionally, a pi doesn't have a battery. even if you bought the pi 400 (which is a pi 4 inside a keyboard) you'd still need power and a screen, so it's not really all that practical for outdoor/travel situations.

what would be more practical is a cheap good smart phone, with a custom os that lets you do whatever you want. if you want suggestions, let me know.
Well for a long time I made that argument to myself, Raspberry is a different niche to a smartphone though. The PI can run on AA batteries and could easily add a 3.5 inch touch screen. There are many different hats (expansion boards) available for it, it could even be paired with ardinuno.

• Useful
Reactions: Big George W

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Well for a long time I made that argument to myself, Raspberry is a different niche to a smartphone though. The PI can run on AA batteries and could easily add a 3.5 inch touch screen. There are many different hats (expansion boards) available for it, it could even be paired with ardinuno.
Well, sure, but there's a certain point where it becomes less practical and more of a passion project. You do you, but realistically you can do more for less with a used smartphone.

Big George W

Humanist
Reaction score
Website
mewe.com
Man, that's way way cool.....

I should see if I can power up my 1980s GRiDCASE and get her up and running :)

To me, the more primitive something is, the better it is, as there is something to be said for simplicity in design and function.

Big George W

Humanist
Reaction score
Website
mewe.com
But, back on topic.... I just visited the Rraspberry pi website, and I truly believe that my life is about to change forever.

Sleyeborg

Reaction score
pis are cool. honestly though you can just download termux on a smartphone and use that linux shell ti download python and use that python to write a program that does whatever you want. the main thing about the pi is you will break the fuck out of it if you travel rough. unless you make a special case and all that. do whatever you want. fuck my advice. honest. listen to noone but yourself.

Glass Roads

Reaction score
Eh if you really wanna screw with one you could get it and keep your eye on the facebook and craigslist free sections, maybe dumpster dive some electronics too. Salvage some parts and see what comes to ya. Might not be to cost effective time wise, but would be easy on the wallet and youd learn a lot. Would also be cyberpunk as fuck

Reactions: The Drifter

The Drifter

Reaction score
I feel like one advantage of a pi over a phone is being able to connect a WiFi antenna to get a better signal. There have been lots of times when I've had a weak WiFi signal.

hellofoodbaby

Reaction score
Pis are cool. I have learned a lot about computing tinkering with one.
They sip power. So it's handy to use when you don't have to fire up a big hulking PC.

They're not so great as a desktop replacement because web browsing is pretty sluggish.
It might be a better experience with the new Pis with 8 Gig of RAM.
Supplies are been scarce so I just use my Pi 3 B+.

I'm currently working on some music projects with this PiSound hat.
I'm trying to get it so that I record music by pushing a button.
The idea is to record without firing up a DAW.

c58643a.jpg

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads