Travelin' with Ferrets

skitter

Reaction score
Would love to hear from any ferret owners on their experience traveling with dooks, or even secondhand stories of kids with ferrets on the road. Especially if its something more than "had one but it escaped".

I had originally wanted to do a tutorial on how i made my girls a traveling cage but have since learned that while it is possible to keep them while traveling it is MAGNIFICENTLY inconvenient and I can't in good conscience encourage anyone acquire a ferret as a travel companion! they can be difficult...

Anyway, we are three months in on our journey and I would love to compare experiences :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1411534653154.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1411534653154.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 357
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
Reactions: Skit

buffalobill

Reaction score
I have thought of traveling with a farret aswell and i wouldnt have expected for them to be a big nuisance but i would understand why they are carnivorus beasts haha yours look mighty sweet though what might be soom under estamated problems with them on the road ive seen them used for hunting in the uk for rabbits with lurchers to chace the suckers down best of luck with them

D

Deleted member 2626

update on this? Not that i'm really interested. . . but curious how its going for you. My next step later on will be a pack goat. but I enjoy all creatures and critters. prettyneat

Dameon

Reaction score
I always advise against ferrets as traveling animals, because of their sensitivity to heat and tendency to run off and get eaten. Doesn't mean it can't work, but I can't count the times during the summer I've wound up in 100+ degree heat by accident or necessity. It's stressful enough hitting that kind of heat with a dog, I can't even imagine doing it with a ferret.

skitter

Reaction score
Ended up getting left unexpectedly in Sacramento County in July. It was HOT and it was scary. They are also quite illegal there. we managed, though. I am in Utah presently... It is a little chillier here and they are a lot more interested in snuggling with each other in some blankets. The heat is definitely the biggest nuisance but we came up with solutions.

Adorable companions but hard to travel with. They dont walk by themselves or carry their own food. They shit a LOT, haha.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1412208977317.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1412208977317.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 346

skitter

Reaction score
One of them is a docile snugglebug who rides... Well its a scarf I have around my neck I have tied like a sling hammock thing, she occasionally sleeps in that while I am walking, or rides on the pack. The other one doesnt give a fuck on how high off the ground she is or what, she just doesnt like to be held.

skitter

Reaction score
I am sure people who might read this already own ferret/s and would like to travel with them. If I didnt already have some years experience ramblin' I would have found it somewhat overwhelming. Just saying!!

Dameon

Reaction score
I've known a lot of people on the road who've wanted to pick up ferrets, and it seems to make sense; they are the fun loving drunken idiots of the animal world, but unfortunately a lot of people don't realize how sensitive they are to temperature and human illness. That's another thing, don't let your ferrets anywhere near anybody you even suspect might have a cold or flu.

skitter

Reaction score
I found it astounding how many cops in California were unaware that my ferrets were extremely illegal there. Dont bring your dooks to California.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads