News & Blogs Train-Hopping Scabs of Capitalism

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Someone has a hate on for train hoppers..cant say I completely disagree.

http://4and20blackbirds.wordpress.com/2014/02/08/train-hopping-scabs-of-capitalism/

Train-Hopping Scabs of Capitalism
February 8, 2014 in Montana

by lizard

First-time filmmaker, Daniel Skaggs, will be showing Missoula a humanizing depiction of “modern train-hoppers” during this year’s Big Sky Documentary Film Festival. After last summer’s inundation of Rainbows, Drainbows and Gutter-Punk “Anarchists”, it’s going to be a tough sell.

The Missoula Indy’s review by Erika Fredrickson probably won’t help Skaggs humanize the subjects he followed joined across the country for over a year, and this is why:

Besides falling into the Maumee River, which happened toward the end of production, there were a couple other near disasters. In Portland, Ore., just two weeks into meeting and hanging out with Skrappe’s group of travelers, Skaggs got drunk and stole beer from a convenience store and brought it back to the train yard. The cops showed up to haul him off to jail and he found himself in a predicament: take his camera equipment to the jail where it might get lost, accidentally or otherwise, or leave it with his newfound companions? He decided on the latter. After being released six hours later, he nervously wandered through the city trying to track down Skrappe and the gang. He finally found them in the parking lot of a Fred Meyer.

“There were 10 train-riding kids sitting outside with their packs yelling at people and causing a ruckus,” Skaggs says. “And Skrappe, who is such a charismatic individual, comes running up [with] my pack. He was so proud that he had [kept it safe]. And we eventually formed a really strong bond.”

I wouldn’t call getting arrested for drunkenly stealing beer from a convenience store a disaster—I’d call it consequences for an asshole breaking the law.

Though I’ve personally had a few positive interactions with members of this counter-culture, the majority of my interactions have been with rude, entitled punks who have zero regard for the messes they leave behind, and I’m not just talking about trash.

There is a direct connection between the type of behavior Skaggs’ crew apparently exhibit in this film and the panhandling ordinances our city is going to get sued over. We will see what happens this coming Monday, when City Council tries to pass compromise ordinances. From what I’ve heard, there is a good chance the Montana ACLU will litigate anyway. That means taxpayer money will be spent defending ordinances crafted to curb the obnoxious but not criminal behavior of, primarily, the seasonal migrations of travelers Missoula experiences every year.

At the end of the interview, Skaggs says it’s hard to be the object of public disdain:

“It was difficult after a year of being in the trenches, living on the street with these people when I knew I didn’t really have to,” Skaggs says. “And there were a few times when I really didn’t want to do it anymore. I had come from graduating at the top of my class at the university, getting an award and operating my own farm, to putting myself out there on the street being judged every day by the populace.

Boo-fucking-hoo.

Attitudes toward these traveling train-hoppers will probably get more negative as the economic engines of late-stage capitalism sputter and choke toward the inevitable cliff. My own animosity comes from watching their hypocritical dependence on local food banks, local ER’s and the generosity of people in the communities they travel through while too many of them get drunk and belligerent.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
The shitty part of this article is that I can't really disagree with him. Over the past 15 years since I started traveling, I've seen a huge decline in the quality of people living this lifestyle.

Personally I think it's all of our responsibilities to start calling people on this kind of shit and make it clear that it isn't cool any more and that you don't have to be a complete douche bag in order to be a 'hobo'. There's plenty of us out there that are responsible individuals that choose to migrate for a living but also work to get by.

I've been mulling over the idea of writing an StP book of some kind this year, and I feel like one of the most important parts should be a behavior/morality section outlining why this kind of behavior sucks for everyone (without being preachy of course).

anyways, thanks for sharing the article :)

P

pigpen

There's a fuck ton of people who share this guys distain for travelers in Missoula.

I met a kid there (troy was his name) who almost lost and eye when a softball sized rock came flying out of the window of some truck he had never seen before and smashed him in the face.

There's definitely a flip side to that, Missoula being home to plenty of kind hearted folks. Any town with Beerfest, Hempfest and German fest all in one weekend (and fo free) is cool in my book.

How can we as a community combat this sentiment? Other than by being living, breathing proof that not all train riders or travelers are pieces of shit?

edit: last time I was in Montana was about a year before the most recent national gathering there, which I'm sure pissed a lot of people off.

Last edited:

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i'm not sure how to answer your question except that we should set a good example, and maybe start calling people out on their shit. also, boycotting the rainbow gathering might be a good idea too.

P

pigpen

I don't know that a boycott would really do anything but draw more unnecessary lines in the sand, people are going to continue gathering regardless... but I'm 100% behind you on calling people on their shit, regardless of their tendencies or affiliations.

There's shitty people and good people from all walks of life, aside from advocating genocide and child molestation I don't really care what you believe, just don't tread on my ass.

P

pigpen

Also (no disrespect to you matt) if this site is still around in 40 years, there's gonna be as many shitty people with StP accounts as there are attending rainbow gatherings. Any good idea that lasts multiple decades is going to attract those who wish to misuse, profit from, hide behind and bastardize said idea.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads