Toward the setting sun

A4ronfodder

Reaction score
Hey everyone, my names Aaron grew up in the shadows of an abandon psychiatric hospital ( was one of the biggest in the states) I've always been a traveler at heart, since I was a kid spending weeks anticipating my families road trip into the great aderondaks. In my older years I spent much time hiking mountains of the northeast. ( I have always felt a sense of completion being in the fresh mountain air.) I have also backpacked Europe for a month from France to Germany and finally Italy camping under bridges and crashing couches. As of late I have been fed up with ohh you know wage slavery. On top of the horrible attitudes of NewYorkers and the impossibility of living on my own here. So in the next few weeks I will be quitting my job, taking what I can fit and driving across country (never been out west). I have ideas to plant roots in Eugene Oregon. Though I am getting less patient with consistency of life in my older years. My cousin bailed on taking the trip with me. This will be my first drive across the country with only my trusted companion (rocko). I am stuck paying for this car so for a while I will need steady income. Is it crazy my plan is just get to Oregon and figure it out? I've had an insane amount of negativity from the plan ahead camp. I'm hoping to find some cool people as well as punk houses to crash.

Solidarity-love

A4ronfodder

Reaction score
I
Eugene's fine. Ashland's better. Don't worry. It is paradise. If you had picked New Jersey, Dallas, or Long Beach I would caution you. But Oregon's nice.
I don't think I've really heard much about Ashland, I'll have to look into it.
Additional how hard is it to pick up a trimming job out in Oregon ? It's my plan A as of now hoping to make enough to buy a mini bus for my pooch and I.

Reactions: Mankini and Kal

Art101

Reaction score
Go for it amigo.Perfect time to do teh drive.I did the same trip in Feb. from Seattle to Jersey.I have found that outside of a few differents,the issues I left there are the same here.That said I loved the drive and the scenery Its truly amazing how big this country is.

Sip

Reaction score
You should just go around the whole country to the south and drive up the coast of CA and go back east. ;)

Reactions: Kal

misanthropicrustacian

Reaction score
I got friends from Pensacola, also got family outside Orlando, haven't been down there since I was a wee lad , planning on getting back down there someday, my aunts getting real old, got to see her again,
Be careful where you step now , watch out for the sinkholes :) and fair thee well down dere

Durp

Reaction score
If you dont have contacts don't count on trimming. There is a big anti trimmigrants thing going on with a lot of the locals so watch your back. You should sell the car or pay it off before you leave. It is best to have no monthly bills if you have no income.

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
I got friends from Pensacola, also got family outside Orlando, haven't been down there since I was a wee lad , planning on getting back down there someday, my aunts getting real old, got to see her again,
Be careful where you step now , watch out for the sinkholes :) and fair thee well down dere

Cool!

I'm originally from the Orlando area.

Moved over to this coast to get away from the sprawl of Orlando, but it followed me.

Need a sinkhole? Take your pick...we've got more opening every day. ;)

Reactions: A4ronfodder and Kal

A4ronfodder

Reaction score
You should just go around the whole country to the south and drive up the coast of CA and go back east. ;)
Still trying to figure out multiple replies. I plan on taking the roads less traveled mostly, starting at my favorite camp site upstate then, taking my trip north just past Fargo and down through Colorado. But part of the plan is absolutely the pacific coast hwy. I want to hightail it past tornado alley those things freak me out.

Reactions: Kal and Mankini

Princess Nadira

Reaction score
Whatever you do friend, do not dare take a more southern route through Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and So Cal in the month of August. You will encounter some crazy heat if you through there. Just saying. I've been there. Stay cool..drink plenty of liquids if you do.

A4ronfodder

Reaction score
I'm from the west coast...sd, la, Laughlin, Vegas, etc. Wherever you go, just be happy man. I'm in ny and in about 4months I plan on leaving after I convert a van n what not. Maybe we can link up...take me n my pup to Ohio please lol.
That's pretty rad! I hope to convert a van at some point, unfortunatly sold my soul to capital one for a car loan two years ago so I gotta stick with what I got right now. More company would be awesome! Alas I'm starting the trip at my favorite primitive camp in the Adirondacks.

A4ronfodder

Reaction score
Th
Whatever you do friend, do not dare take a more southern route through Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and So Cal in the month of August. You will encounter some crazy heat if you through there. Just saying. I've been there. Stay cool..drink plenty of liquids if you do.
thanks for the tip! That didn't cross my mind. I want to see the Grand Canyon and such so I may dare as long as it's cool at night I should be ok. For the mean time I'm not bringing my dog with me so I don't have to worry about his safety luckily.

A4ronfodder

Reaction score
Damn that's as old as me haha! Feeling like an artist with a blank canvas? I hope to get my hands on a mini bus some day. Look around for junk boats since your on the coast I hear boat appliances are amazing if you can fit it into your space.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads