Thomas/Manuel Sanchez/Knapp | Squat the Planet

Thomas/Manuel Sanchez/Knapp

Izzy

Reaction score
This week my grandfather passed away. He was a friend to all and people will be coming from all over the country to attend his memorial.
During the fifties sixties and seventies my grandfather father would hop trains and look for seasonal jobs. Though he never had more than pocket change to his name he always found a way to help out the people he met along the way. My grandma stayed in Oklahoma City in their 8x10 shack with dirt floors making food for the travelers he would bring home with him.
She would tell me stories about bringing home "gypsys" that would purify the shack of evil spirits and give him medallions to protect him on the rails.
After years of traveling he came back and worked as a mason and general handy man until the day he died. After my grandparents divorced he devoted his time not working to coaching baseball teams of underprivileged and intercity kids to help give them a sense of family and pride. He would take the money he earned to help keep them clothed and fed even of it meant he would go hungry for awhile.
I remember he would drive us in his truck and seeing a shoe on the side of the highway he would pull off. "Waste not want not, by god there'll be another one in a few minutes it'll fit someone." He was always thinking about others.
My grandfather lived a full life and I wish I had been more a part of it.

Volver Volver Pops

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
<salutes the passing of Izzy's Grandfather> He sounded like he had a wonderful life and passed his love of life on to all. :) <hugs>

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads