Thanks for the welcome and Hello from Yuma

Gibbyotrl

Reaction score
Hello from Yuma!
Thanks for the welcome. I'm trying to research and get ready to get back out on the road. Originally from the Midwest (Kentucky and southern/central Illinois). Have lived in DFW area then back to Illinois. Finally after years of camping took off in 5 th wheel and traveled for several years working as a traveling therapist (OT), then landed in Yuma and kinda got stuck. Ready to get back out there after almost 10 years. Got itchy feet and know it is always good to have connections with good people of like mind. This seems like a great addition to my resources. I have lived in a little old park model for the past few years and collected to much stuff. I frequently help out fellow travelers that wander into out little park on the river, supplying tents, food, supplies, and local transport as I can. I love people and always focus on their Good, try to help others as I have been in the past and am sure will need in the future. We are all family and need to be there for each other.
I'm just getting to old for summer heat here and need a break. I'm sure I'll be back in the winters. I just gotta get to work and get rid of a few things and save a bit of money to be able to hit the road. Thanks again and feel free to contact me about info and suggestions in this area.
Gibby

roamingsnake

Reaction score
It's always great to add a new resource to the list, so I'm glad you found the website! I definitely get the itch to move; while I've never gone off traveling before, I've been known to take spontaneous walks around odd areas and to do a little urban exploration when I feel too stagnant (and when my back isn't hurting).

Being a traveling therapist sounds pretty neat! I was going after a degree in Human Resources with an intention toward art therapy down the line (up until recently), and upon mentioning the conflict between that and travel had that particular line of work recommended to me. Did it allow you the flexibility you were looking for, or was it harder to maintain than expected?

Ten years is a solid chunk of time, so I wish you the best in lightening your load and setting off!

Reactions: Desperado Deluxe

Gibbyotrl

Reaction score
Thank you new friend. Yes the traveling Gig is tough or was tough as of now it is pretty much non existent due to the covid thing and some Medicare changes. Before most of the contracts were 3 to 6 months each and then a move. They really expected a lot from you cause they paid a lot of money for your services to the contract companies and they needed the help because of shortages, so it was a pretty fast pace. I would try to take at least a week or 2 between gigs to travel and see things in between. I also chose smaller towns to be more out in nature. I'd follow the sun and head to warmer or cooler climates as the seasons changed. When I came to Yuma it was for a 10 month gig to work with a school district. I tried for about 3 years and it just wasn't for me. It is totally different than any other form of OT services. After almost 30 years I'm burned out and hate all the paperwork and beurocracy. I just want that freedom to create and do things that bring me joy. Don't get me wrong I love my patients and working with them, it's just all the hoops you have to jump through and again the computerized paperwork. I hate the electronic medical record system. It does not do what I thought it was suppose to do when introduced.
That is also why I have so much stuff collected here. I help a lot of patients who are not able to afford equipment or modifications to their homes. I pick up a lot of things at yard sales and thrift stores that I know people need, extra wood and metal to build ramps and handrails, etc. This is not really part of my job, but a part of my talents that work well with my home health work. Things tend to cycle around quickly, but I do have some supplies and surplus that are stored at my house. I need to learn to let that go and know that the Universe will provide what is needed at the time and not worry about future needs. I have down sized before and it is a freeing experience. When we decided to travel the first time I had 15 days to vacate a 2 and a half story home with a full basement and move into a 34 ft. 5 th wheel. I did have a 10 x 10 storage unit for a while but every thing I own is here now. Lots of tools and stuff I use regularly, but a lot of crap too. I just gotta get up and get it sourced out and organized. It's just more difficult for me cause I'm older and the heat in Yuma is killer this time of year. I'm only working part time as I have a great boss that lets me do what I can as far as home care goes, but I seriously hate all the paperwork and insurance junk I have to get completed. Sorry I went off on a rant. I appreciate your response and hope you follow your heart to do what brings you joy.
Many blessings to you
Gibby
So tell me more about where you are and what you like to do.

roamingsnake

Reaction score
No worries about the rant, I always appreciate extra info! Thank you so much for giving me that perspective, too, as I know the work we go for is often different in some key ways than it may have been presented. I'd say 30 years of solid is a fair stopping point, and it sounds like you did a lot more besides (as far as collecting items to help other people out). And the paperwork always seems to have that unfortunate effect, making something more difficult than it needs to be. Gotta love that bureaucracy [heavy sarcasm]...

I have a tough time in the heat, as well; when my body gets too hot, I actually start to have a slight allergic reaction wherein my entire body starts to itch until I cool myself down, so I definitely understand the difficulty of cleaning house when it's hotter out. Right now, my brother and I are discussing temporarily moving from lease (which is ending June 30th) to a month-to-month, but because of some nonsense--I originally leased with someone else, used to be a good friend, skipped out to leave me with all of it even though it was ALL in her name; it's been a nightmare)--it might not end up happening. In other words, I'll either be moving out within the next three months or the next three weeks.

Anyway, I'm currently working at a big name pharmacy that has no hours for me, despite JUST hiring me, and the plan is to save what I can in the meantime and help my brother find a place he can afford on his own since he's never done it himself. Might crash with him for awhile and chip in for rent, work for a couple of months or until my anxiety gets the better of me, then head off for a bit.

I'm in New Jersey, so the weather is very weird; it'll be cool and stormy all morning, then hot and clear all afternoon. Some days it's very humid, and others it just gets hot, still others hot with a breeze. I can't stand the humidity, but I try to go for at least a short walk every day, even when it gets pretty bad. I live in a mobile home village (not trailers, though; just those small houses they bring in on trucks and plop down on the ground) that's fairly close to a shopping center, pretty poor area but the rent sucks (currently $1000/mo here) and the power cuts out pretty regularly.

I spend my days watching movies with my partner, walking, writing, reading, and crocheting. When the mood strikes me, I draw, but not nearly as much as I used to. I'm currently working my way through some backpacking books and another book that I intend to review. I occasionally do book reviews for small amounts of cash; not enough to pay the bills, but every bit helps.

I could go on and on about other things, like how I live a short drive from the Pine Barrens or what kinds of video games I like to play, but I think I've given enough as a general overview (and maybe a bit too much). I'd certainly be willing to expand, of course!

Thank you again for your response in kind, and I wish you pleasant downsizing and happy travels!

Gibbyotrl

Reaction score
Thanks for the Rey. I had a thought for you and your brother for housing. I have been doing a lot of research with "cheap RV living", they have a bunch of videos on you tube and cover everything from how to get started, what you need, what type of vehicle, etc. They cover everything from living in a car, van truck, camper etc. They have even started a non profit organization to help folks get started that need a place to live. A lot of folks live off grid and boondocks but some live in cities and work regular jobs but just wanted to live a minimal lifestyle. They talk about how you can do that and be safe about parking for over nights, "stealth parking" which a lot of it has to do with the vehicle you have. Lots of tours of different set ups that people live in full and part time. Check it out and let me know what you think. There are several other channels similar but this group has been around a long time and seems to be very knowledgeable and caring about helping others find a comfortable safe lifestyle. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Gibby

Reactions: roamingsnake

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads