Stuck in Indonesia with no passport... | Squat the Planet

Stuck in Indonesia with no passport...

sd40chef

Reaction score
A really good friend of mine sent me a message this morning and any good information or advice would be greatly appreciated.... as of now he reckons the best case scenario is that he will have to stay for one month waiting for his temporary german passport to arrive, where he can only fly to germany, and has to pay a 1000$ overstay fine. He is australian, his dad was born in germany and thats why he has a german passport as well. He had to used his german passport to leave australia as his australian passport was in too bad of condition and they refused it. He is in a very unlucky situation and im sure he would greatly appreciate any useful information or advice to find a better solution...

"So my flight is booked for tuesday... But immigration wont let me leave. Because i entered indo on my german passport they say i have to leave on a german passport too... Its been such a fuck around! Problem is i can only apply for a temporary german passport which will take one month and only allows me to travel to germany... My visa expires on tuesday and every day overstay is gonna cost me 30$ a day... So i will have to wait around in indo a month until my german passport arrives and pay 1000$ oversstay fine and even after all that i can only go to germany... Its fucked.. My flight to aus is non refundable so i lose out on that too.. I organised a temporary australian passport but its useless.. Cost me a bunch of money and time for nothing... To make matters worse i got my phone stolen too with a bunch of important files and all my travrl photos on it. ... I have no idea what to do now. Im back on the drink as well now too which doesnt help things... I hope your travells are goin better than mine. Peace"

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
I had that happen to a buddy of mine (Colombia, I was with him), and I've heard of other people who it happened to (Thailand). Never been more than a week to get temp passport, and the embassy or consulate should be helping him with everything else (money ext)..

Chillawhile

Reaction score
A few years back I had my passport (US) stolen the day before my flight out of Thailand to Australia. (also the day before my visa expired) had to pay for an expedited temporary passport (about $400 and valid for 6 months) that took 2 days to get. Had to book a new flight and pay the 2 day overstay fee, but was able to go to Australia no problem. Once in Aus I had to apply for a new passport, but that was the end of it.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that it would take a month to get a new passport and that it would have such restrictions as only allowing travel to Germany. I would say go to the German embassy and ask about expedited service, surely they can get it resolved... tho it will most certainly cost a chunk of change.

Last edited:

Art101

Reaction score
I lost my passport in Singapore.First had to report it to Singapore Police.Next was the US Embassy.Not as helpful as Singapore PD but after a major detonation and a slew of swear words had my passport the next day.I was actually amazed it was as easy as it was.Then again I was rather hostile due to a hangover and a bad sunburn.

sd40chef

Reaction score
And he's an Australian citizen? No offense but I find it really hard to believe that he can't go to an Australian embassy and get the assistance he needs...
he applied for a temporary aus passport but its of no use because he got his entry stamp on a german passport and they want the exit stamp on it too i suppose.
from what ive heard from australians travelling overseas trying to get assistance from the embassy, they seem been really apathetic towards everything.

sd40chef

Reaction score
hmmmm... so everyone seems convinced that he can get his temp german passport in much less than a month.... the only real issue now theoretically would be that hes forced to fly to germany....which seems strange....

he sent me a message now saying he is trying to get himself deported without going to jail and just get a blacklist for a year or something...

• Haha
Reactions: Dmac

fig

Reaction score
Other than faking his death and getting a moped.
Have you heard of the hoodrat moped gangs around Indonesia? They basically make ratrods out of old Italian vespas

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads