stcw 95-anyone done it? | Squat the Planet

stcw 95-anyone done it?

wulfie meowmerson

Reaction score
I was told this cert was the best way into payed crewing. I have no experience sailing and want to try it. I've tried posting on crewing website but it seems like I'm always in the wrong place at the wrong time. I think I'm going to take it In ft lauderdale. Anyone ever taken it? Would you recommend it? What are my chances of getting on a boat in Ft Lauderdale without it?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i'm no expert sailor, but i've never heard of it. i've also never heard any of my hardcore sailing buddies mention it. i've also never heard it mentioned in any of the travel blog articles i've read about crewing with boats.

so... i wouldn't take it seriously. it sounds like the equivalent of going to bartending school... meaning, it's probably for suckers.

there's plenty of boats out there that will take newbies, id just start hitting the pavement and see what you find.

also, if you do get on a boat to somewhere, get back to us and let everyone know what your experience was like (it'll help others trying to do the same).

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads