Soylent or similar meal/drink | Squat the Planet

Soylent or similar meal/drink

stormcrow

Reaction score
Website
deposed.bandcamp.com
Anybody tried this for longer trips? Seems lighter than regular food and maybe could get one through a bind. Obviously not ideal if food is to be viewed also as a morale booster, but I'd like to hear some pros and cons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using the Squat the Planet mobile app!

Reactions: MolotovMocktail

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
I know someone (not a traveler) who uses Soylent to replace one meal a day. She gave me a bottle but I haven't tried it yet. I like real food way too much to start replacing it with bottles of weird grey liquid.

Reactions: wickedwench

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
Eh it's not realistic in my opinion. Having one or two bottles in your pack won't hurt but trying to haul cases of it for long distances would be impractical when trail mix can have the same effect and is easier to store.

Brother X

caput gerat lupinum
Reaction score
Website
www.thepsychopath.org
How about the powdered stuff.

I've used Ketochow for PCT treks. I use it as a supplement breaking camp and setting up camp or if I start camp late, to avoid having to cook. It delivers a lot of calories for not much weight.

Mustbenice

Reaction score
Soylent was just recalled by the company due to saftey concerns, so at least for the moment id stay away from them. In theory im sure the powders would be fine for a week or two but (to state the obvious) you are not going to be getting all of the same essential vitamins and minerals you would be getting with regular food. If you decide to go this route you man need to carry a few suppliments to meet your daily requirements.

shabti

Reaction score
Anybody tried this for longer trips? Seems lighter than regular food and maybe could get one through a bind. Obviously not ideal if food is to be viewed also as a morale booster, but I'd like to hear some pros and cons.

I love soylent.

It sucks for trips though. One of the packets of powder (I assume you're going for the cheapest, weight efficient product soylent sells) has 2000 calories, but it's a few pounds.

I ordered around $90 of the stuff, and over three months, I still have a huge heavy box.

It has no taste, so the only way I make it is in a blender, with ice and some kind of flavoring.

So, my consumption of soylent makes me reccomend that you NOT use it to travel, since the calories involved versus the weight never made it feasible for me.

Plus lukewarm soylent stirred by a campfire?

Ewwwwwwwwww.

lol. sorry, but ew.

:) if you want to go the soylent route, look for "soylent coupon codes", before you check out. I got like $30 off my order by using the coupon, and then cancelling the subscription before I could be billed again.

Also, what kind of punk would I be if I didn't mention the DIY soylent site?

https://diy.soylent.com

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads