Solar powered long board

Cosmic Rob

Professional straight-edge
Reaction score
So, I found this GT carbon off-road electric skateboard for a little under $2k. It can go about 30 miles on a 4-5 hour charge and can go about 30 MPH if you wanted to go really fast- but i'm thinking being able to cruise at only 10 MPH on something like that is plenty fast for me.

https://evolveskateboardsusa.com/co...carbon-all-terrain-series?variant=22496941828

I was thinking it'd be cool to mod this thing so it can be solar powered, or at least have a portable panel i could plug it into but i don't have a clue how this stuff works. do they even make portable panels with that kind push? I don't know how to convert the A/C to D/C and all that magic, but i'm willing to learn to have something like this!

A

AnOldHope

So, I found this GT carbon off-road electric skateboard for a little under $2k. It can go about 30 miles on a 4-5 hour charge and can go about 30 MPH if you wanted to go really fast- but i'm thinking being able to cruise at only 10 MPH on something like that is plenty fast for me.

https://evolveskateboardsusa.com/co...carbon-all-terrain-series?variant=22496941828

I was thinking it'd be cool to mod this thing so it can be solar powered, or at least have a portable panel i could plug it into but i don't have a clue how this stuff works. do they even make portable panels with that kind push? I don't know how to convert the A/C to D/C and all that magic, but i'm willing to learn to have something like this!

Looks like the motors are 3000 watt. A 100 watt solar panel is about 4 foot by a bit less than two feet, so larger than the board itself, not counting wait for charge controller, battery, and inverter.

You probably could rig a way for a panel or two (there are smaller portable ones), if the device normally charges from a standard wallsocket, you would need a battery and inverter (first of which will be particularly heavy if you want it to hold a meaningful amount).

That thing looks cool, though. I love the future.

nivoldoog

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
That is worked out in tinker. But as many that I can squeeze on on top.

Ideas not fully developed...
Fold out from bottom to side for more surface area...
Foot or hand pump for more juice.
Wind power, active reverse pressure system and or generator.
Solar on body(more surface area) that connects to board.
Brake - that generates power

A

AnOldHope

That is worked out in tinker. But as many that I can squeeze on on top.

Ideas not fully developed...
Fold out from bottom to side for more surface area...
Foot or hand pump for more juice.
Wind power, active reverse pressure system and or generator.
Solar on body(more surface area) that connects to board.
Brake - that generates power

Solar on body that feeds to the board would be cool as hell. Thermovoltaic recapture for the brakes has come a long way, I don't know what minimum scale is, but if not currently small enough, they likely will be soon.

nivoldoog

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
A cordless drill can be hand cranked to generate power. So, my thought is it is work while push forward and brake generator.

A

AnOldHope

A cordless drill can be hand cranked to generate power. So, my thought is it is work while push forward and brake generator.

So the cordless drill isn't the motor, it will be used as a crank to send power backwards to the battery? (I apologize if I'm not understanding)

What will be the motor?

Cosmic Rob

Reaction score
Looks like the motors are 3000 watt. A 100 watt solar panel is about 4 foot by a bit less than two feet, so larger than the board itself, not counting wait for charge controller, battery, and inverter.

You probably could rig a way for a panel or two (there are smaller portable ones), if the device normally charges from a standard wallsocket, you would need a battery and inverter (first of which will be particularly heavy if you want it to hold a meaningful amount).

That thing looks cool, though. I love the future.

How big of a battery are you talking? do you think there are any fold-up-and-put-away-type solar panels i could keep in a bag for this type of thing, or is it better to just use the board in a city or town for the day? >.>

The page says max weight for this thing is 220 and i already weigh 240- not counting any bags or swag.

A

AnOldHope

How big of a battery are you talking? do you think there are any fold-up-and-put-away-type solar panels i could keep in a bag for this type of thing, or is it better to just use the board in a city or town for the day? >.>

The page says max weight for this thing is 220 and i already weigh 240- not counting any bags or swag.

So although they've built ultralight long range airplanes that can power off solar, a skateboard that runs completely off solar (for any meaningful leangth of time is tough). But if you're using this for traveling, you can carry a small personal folding solar array that would send charge to the board, but not enough to really run it much (but its perfect for your phone/laptop etc).

It will not convert enough current to run a motor on the order of 3000 watts, it would give a very slow charge for an application like that (such that you'd have to charge all day for very short running time).

However, ultra thin folding solar technology is rapidly advancing, and its not impossible that within a few years, we could see what is effective a folding lattice solar array extremely light that might work for an application like you're discussing.

My old phogey-tech won't do that job you're envisioning, but I strongly believe that very soon (or maybe somewhere now), you could get an out-folding micro-light array that will power that kind of motor, it might look like two giant insectoid wings that emerge to the sides of the device, or a canopy above. Or something else.

Cosmic Rob

Reaction score
So although they've built ultralight long range airplanes that can power off solar, a skateboard that runs completely off solar (for any meaningful leangth of time is tough). But if you're using this for traveling, you can carry a small personal folding solar array that would send charge to the board, but not enough to really run it much (but its perfect for your phone/laptop etc).

It will not convert enough current to run a motor on the order of 3000 watts, it would give a very slow charge for an application like that (such that you'd have to charge all day for very short running time).

However, ultra thin folding solar technology is rapidly advancing, and its not impossible that within a few years, we could see what is effective a folding lattice solar array extremely light that might work for an application like you're discussing.

My old phogey-tech won't do that job you're envisioning, but I strongly believe that very soon (or maybe somewhere now), you could get an out-folding micro-light array that will power that kind of motor, it might look like two giant insectoid wings that emerge to the sides of the device, or a canopy above. Or something else.

You mean like this? :DD

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYS_sr65mhREmvE7UY8QC1OkKIazcYC5X7pmRCm835mIa70YAx.jpg

I bet i could totally make that work... If the batteries die, just use a regular sail!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads