Snakes

RemiMoon

Reaction score
Wasn't sure if I should put this here or places to sleep.. or where

Right now I'm in a state that has a lot of snakes in the tall grass. I'm going to have to walk through it to get to my camp, and sometimes at night.

Is there anything I can do to ease my worries ? Or just toughen up and watch where I step?

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Carry a big stick, and hit the ground in front of you, loudly, three times before making the next step. Like, Gandalf style. Snakes can feel vibrations in the ground, and will move away from that type of sound, that or rattle. Either way, you will know if the are there or not.

I do this everytime I camp near high grass

The Toecutter

The Patron Saint of Filth
Reaction score
Do be aware that if it is sufficiently cold out, you run the risk of one cuddling up to you for warmth while you sleep. You might wake up and have a new friend laying with you in your sleeping bag.

I've kept snakes for most of my life, including a rattlesnake, so I'm not at all uncomfortable around them. But for someone who isn't used to them, I can see how this would be an issue.

RemiMoon

Reaction score
Do be aware that if it is sufficiently cold out, you run the risk of one cuddling up to you for warmth while you sleep. You might wake up and have a new friend laying with you in your sleeping bag.

I've kept snakes for most of my life, including a rattlesnake, so I'm not at all uncomfortable around them. But for someone who isn't used to them, I can see how this would be an issue.

I love snakes but I'm also kinda scared of them too I used to have a lil garter when I was a kid. Oh my God that would freak me out 😂😂 I should be fine bc I have a tent though. More worried Abt the kitty anyways.

The Toecutter

Reaction score
I love snakes but I'm also kinda scared of them too I used to have a lil garter when I was a kid. Oh my God that would freak me out 😂😂 I should be fine bc I have a tent though. More worried Abt the kitty anyways.

They're really not that bad as pets.

Even my Western Diamondback named Nippy stopped rattling at me when he got used to my presence and would let me pet him. He would still rattle at my roommates though when they got near the enclosure. He wasn't used to them because they didn't interact with him and they smelled different than me to the snake. While I used a hook to take him out of his enclosure, once out, he was very easy to manage and surprisingly gentle. Not once did he strike at anyone. This was qualitatively different from a wild animal driven entirely by instinct. I also knew someone in Texas that kept a Timber Rattlesnake, and he showed me a neat little trick: hand feeding him using live prey without being bitten. That Timber was well behaved and would just chill on your neck. Venom glands and fangs of both snakes were fully intact, and they were both very handle-able, gentle, and otherwise well behaved.

You won't be able to do any of that with a wild animal. Professional herpetologists are trained NOT to ever do this with captive hots and will generally look down upon this as foolish behavior(at best), but these animals really are to some extent tamable. It's just that no matter how tame it is, it's still a rattlesnake, with all of its instincts and behavioral proclivities intact. Its instinct is to bite when its heat-sensing pits detect a warm-blooded mammal or a potential predator is sufficiently close and/or when its Jacobsons organ detects the scent of a prey item or potential predator. Those pets I interacted with were making a decision NOT to bite the humans interacting with them, in spite of their instincts, and there was definitely some level of trust present on the animals part. If there wasn't, I'd have gotten bitten, many times over.

You can tell that a wild rattlesnake is something entirely different altogether. Generally, those will bite without any hesitation once sufficiently agitated, and once they do, it's a matter of how much venom they decide to deliver. It won't know that you stepped on it as an accident, or that you aren't a predator trying to eat it. And surprise: now you're looking at an extremely painful bite, 6-figure medical debt, perhaps amputation of digits and/or limbs, and even possible death.

Definitely not a pet for everyone. I would gladly keep another.

RemiMoon

Reaction score
They're really not that bad as pets.

Even my Western Diamondback named Nippy stopped rattling at me when he got used to my presence and would let me pet him. He would still rattle at my roommates though when they got near the enclosure. He wasn't used to them because they didn't interact with him and they smelled different than me to the snake. While I used a hook to take him out of his enclosure, once out, he was very easy to manage and surprisingly gentle. Not once did he strike at anyone. This was qualitatively different from a wild animal driven entirely by instinct. I also knew someone in Texas that kept a Timber Rattlesnake, and he showed me a neat little trick: hand feeding him using live prey without being bitten. That Timber was well behaved and would just chill on your neck. Venom glands and fangs of both snakes were fully intact, and they were both very handle-able, gentle, and otherwise well behaved.

You won't be able to do any of that with a wild animal. Professional herpetologists are trained NOT to ever do this with captive hots and will generally look down upon this as foolish behavior(at best), but these animals really are to some extent tamable. It's just that no matter how tame it is, it's still a rattlesnake, with all of its instincts and behavioral proclivities intact. Its instinct is to bite when its heat-sensing pits detect a warm-blooded mammal or a potential predator is sufficiently close and/or when its Jacobsons organ detects the scent of a prey item or potential predator. Those pets I interacted with were making a decision NOT to bite the humans interacting with them, in spite of their instincts, and there was definitely some level of trust present on the animals part. If there wasn't, I'd have gotten bitten, many times over.

You can tell that a wild rattlesnake is something entirely different altogether. Generally, those will bite without any hesitation once sufficiently agitated, and once they do, it's a matter of how much venom they decide to deliver. It won't know that you stepped on it as an accident, or that you aren't a predator trying to eat it. And surprise: now you're looking at an extremely painful bite, 6-figure medical debt, perhaps amputation of digits and/or limbs, and even possible death.

Definitely not a pet for everyone. I would gladly keep another.
If I do find myself like 1 foot away from a rattler what should I do? Just slowly back away?
I ran so fast when I saw a snake the other day it really wasn't smart but I was barefoot and spooked.. I'm so lucky it didn't bite me.

And I doubt I'll have to worry Abt snake in the tent, I'm gonna duct tape any possible entry ways, but if it did crawl in. What would I do? Try to leave the tent without disturbing it and shake it out? That's my only idea.

The Toecutter

Reaction score
If I do find myself like 1 foot away from a rattler what should I do? Just slowly back away?
I ran so fast when I saw a snake the other day it really wasn't smart but I was barefoot and spooked.. I'm so lucky it didn't bite me.

And I doubt I'll have to worry Abt snake in the tent, I'm gonna duct tape any possible entry ways, but if it did crawl in. What would I do? Try to leave the tent without disturbing it and shake it out? That's my only idea.

That depends upon what the snake is doing. If it is calm and just resting there, very slowly move away. Sudden movements will alert it to your presence. If it is cold out, it may not even be aware you are right next to it.

If it is coiled up and rattling its tail at you in a strike position, calmly but quickly back away from it, again avoiding sudden movements.

They can strike roughly 2/3 their body length.

RemiMoon

Reaction score
That depends upon what the snake is doing. If it is calm and just resting there, very slowly move away. Sudden movements will alert it to your presence. If it is cold out, it may not even be aware you are right next to it.

If it is coiled up and rattling its tail at you in a strike position, calmly but quickly back away from it, again avoiding sudden movements.

Thanks! And oof! The one I ran from was coiled and had just raised its head at me when I ran. 😬

roguetrader

Reaction score
hey @The Toecutter , while on the subject of wild and tamed reptiles, you ever heard of Pocho the crocodile in Costa Rica ? this guy was out walking and found a juvenile croc dieing from a gunshot wound, nursed it back to health and they subsequently became the best of friends... there's a documentary on YouTube showing him swimming with this fully grown crocodile, hugging it, riding it, head in mouth etc etc, this went on for years - but while it was totally tame with him, he couldn't trust it around anyone else - a bit like your rattler...

TheDesertMouse

Reaction score

Rattlers are definetly aware of you being next to it, infact in cold weather you would be even more obvious because the colder membrane of the pit organs would increase the resolution of the thermal image. We’re very fortunate that the snakes up here just want nothing to do with us, and have a comparitevley tepid defense. every wild rattler I have fucked with immediatley started to retreat, only standing its ground when pressed or trapped. Moving away slowly is the correct advice, the snake will probably try to do the same

Reactions: travelbytrainsagain

The Toecutter

Reaction score
hey @The Toecutter , while on the subject of wild and tamed reptiles, you ever heard of Pocho the crocodile in Costa Rica ? this guy was out walking and found a juvenile croc dieing from a gunshot wound, nursed it back to health and they subsequently became the best of friends... there's a documentary on YouTube showing him swimming with this fully grown crocodile, hugging it, riding it, head in mouth etc etc, this went on for years - but while it was totally tame with him, he couldn't trust it around anyone else - a bit like your rattler...

I have.

I've seen videos of caimans, alligators, and crocodiles kept as domesticated indoor pets as well.

These animals are a lot more intelligent than they are commonly given credit for.

One of my favorite alligator videos:

One of a man cuddling on his Western Diamondback:

Here's a man holding two Timber Rattlesnakes at once, giving them away to a new keeper because health complications had made him unable to keep caring for them:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads