Shantyboat Living and Learning to Sail

ERSK

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I've been a frequent of STP for many years, even before I began traveling. Semi retired from the road now for about two and a half years outside of working beets last season but am looking to began a new journey. Growing up on the Ohio river in a small rivertown, which some of you may be familiar with if you have heard of Harlan Hubbard or his book Shantyboat, the idea has been floating around my mind for many many years now. But I believe now to be the right time to build my shack on the river..

My plan is to first look into the laws here on living and docking on the river, which in the past I wouldn't have given second thought to but today I'd like to succeed and for everything to go smoothly as these things do. After I am cleared to begin building I want to invest in or recycle/reclaim 55 gallon blue barrel drums from which I will begin to build my hull, flat, dock, base that floats upon which the cabin will sit. For lumber I would like to try to use reclaimed wood first but will also check places like the Habitat for Humanity Restore as well as the discounted lumber at your local lumber chain store. Believe I will be checking construction sites and dumpsters too but I wont go into to much detail on that ;)

That being said I think chainsawing a few telephone polls wouldn't be the worst idea either lol

I do however already have a small woodstove but will be searching for propane oven and stove range to tear out of an old RV or houseboat and even heard there are propane refrigerators too. Anything requiring electricity hopefully will be taken care of via solar panels and I'll probably use a composting toilet. All of this I'd like to document the building and living of my shantyboat after which my plan is to start learning to sail and then be in the market for a sailboat.

I found websites you can get deck hand experience and learn to sail on www.crewseekers.com and www.crewfinders.com as well as many other like this if anyone has used these before I'd like to discuss your experiences with you or just anyone elses ideas on the subject of sailing and shantyboat living. To clarify the two are separate to me but maybe not you.

Thanks for reading

Lynora

Reaction score
Crewseekers requires you to pay to message folks for jobs, I'm pretty sure. I'd recommend Available Jobs - Tall Ships America - https://www.tallshipsamerica.org/billet-bank/ as an alternative. Tall ship folks tend to be more versed in knots and things that may be helpful on a shantyboat. I've worked aboard the Hudson River Sloop Clearwater, who is hiring currently. Working for them is one of the best paid beginner gigs out there. There's a post somewhere else on this site about someone else who did a shantyboat project and recorded interviews with folks on the river during their trip. It's really fascinating. Would recommend.

Occasionally you can find boat gigs on Helpx and Workaway too. I'm not sure if you have to pay for those sites these days or not. Those gigs would be unpaid.

There is a shantyboat museum in NY which is pretty neat. I was there last week, but they're closed for the winter.

Best of luck. Looking forward to updates!

Reactions: Androoshka and ERSK

ERSK

Reaction score
Wow thanks!!
Just skimming over the site you recommended looks to be pretty promising. Given the position on Hudson River Sloop Clearwater doen'st begin until next fall would allow enough time for my build too.
@Lynora Cool if I ask what jobs you worked there and what all they taught you? I'm really into this idea and am curious about the pay and living situations too and how long the jobs typically lasted which probably very by job and available within its description, what I mean is specific to your experience? Was it enjoyable for you though and did you enjoy your crew mates and captin?
A lot of friends are up in Alaska and have been working the slamon boats for many years now and thats always been an option. But its more a get good money and visit Alaska and friends vs learning to sail and build a shanty type thing..

Hopefully my plan is to get this shanty built and travel worthy enough to make it down the Ohio and head towards New Orleans to visit friends and get a few things I left there awhile back. I've heard of little Shanty communities up north in MN too which I wonder if it would be well enough equipped to make the journey or if it even possible by river, I believe so but I still need to map that one out.
Reading old fur trader books and I believe they set out on those same routes if I'm not mistaken. River's would be fun in and of its self but really sailing on the ocean and traveling the world has a bit of romance to it as well. Still not sure how I'm going to be juggling the two yet but for sure dont want to limit myself to just one or the other.

I'm also trying to collect as many books on the subject if anyone has suggestions. I've read a couple of books on Jim Bridger and the fur trade and enjoy those types. I've also read Suttree by Cormac McCarthy who is one of my favorite authors. I am currently reading ShantyBoat by Harlan Hubbard.

Book list so far:

Logs from the Sea of Cortez by John Steinbeck ( I love everything Steinbeck )

Solo around Cape Horn and Beyond by Edward Allcard

We, the Navigators: The Ancient Art of Land FInding in the Pacific by David Lewis

The Water In Between by Kevin Patterson

Books are a pass time I enjoy as well as coding and software. In my research I've found some opensource software for marine navigation and also auto-pilot if anyone is interested in discussing setups for this as well as electronics and solar or wifi I'd love to share as well.

Last edited:

asterales

Reaction score
You've probably already come across this by now, but just in case you haven't, or for anyone else who finds this thread, wewillnotdrown.blogspot.com is a really good resource for people thinking of doing this sort of thing. They did exactly what you're describing, traveling down the Ohio from Pittsburgh in a shantyboat. They eventually ended up in Mobile, AL which is interesting too.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads