sailors in Florida/NOLA? | Squat the Planet

sailors in Florida/NOLA?

chrispsails

Reaction score
i miss new orleans, and i hear there's a salty, diy sailing scene in florida.
i'm in oakland but burnt out, it's not what it used to be, i miss the work ethic of the east coast. all the tech bro's and 'burners' with money and entitlement and gentrification and increasing class and racial divisions that are pitting people against each other and increasing crime... i'm a nurse and i have a dog so i'm not looking to squat or just travel around but i am looking for a rad sailing/live aboard scene where i can work as little as possible (emergency RN) and sail and work on my boat and bike and hang with my dog more. and hopefully make some rad friends with similar vices and maybe one day soon we'll sail off to the islands...

Reactions: Breck and croc

lucidsalt

Reaction score
Website
sailingonpilgrim.wordpress.com
Sad to hear the bay area isnt what it used to be..... I sailed away in 2006 and haven't been back. I did the east coast in 2015 and found Florida to be a nightmare for minimalist sailors. Maybe Key West is doable but so many coastal towns want to make anchoring out illegal.

About the east bay sailing scene, is the Cal sailing club still there?

floridaboater

Reaction score
Not sure. I am going through membership at Tampa Sailing Squadron - will try to find out more.

And yep, the waterfront people don't like people who anchor (eyesores on 'their' view), cities don't like the lack of 'taxes', etc.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads