Roswell nm space cadets | Squat the Planet

Roswell nm space cadets

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Dang wish I'd known you were there a week ago, I just went through recently. Good luck tho!

Reactions: Sleyeborg
D

Deleted member 26656

Hey, I was wondering if you can please elaborate about the process of squatting/adverse possession and provide us with some valuable insight? Thanks, rock on!

Sleyeborg

Reaction score
Depends on the state. Unfamiliar with Ohio. Basically though, adverse possession arguments are like vague and ancient and are rumored to predate the magna carta. I have tried squatting about 5 or 6 different locations and you quickly find that no house is truly ever vacant. The problem with houses around here is that alot of them are still owned by banks who claim to not own them. As a result they are on the market for hundreds of thousands of dollars more than they are worth. The foundations crack, the copper gets torn out. That alone is a huge expense. No one is adjusting the price because the owner (the bank) doesnt want a toxic asset left over from the 2008 market crash. As a result there are some really good roofs going to waste that could have really good gardens. Now I am an anarchist but the system has pounded my ass enough for me to be a realistic anarchist, you have to pay taxes on the property to get it in your name at the end of the adverse posession. Taxes on property are negligable, more of a dominance assertion from on high. That was my elevator pitch I think. Any specific questions?

Fuck the banks. Occupy their foreclosures.

D

Deleted member 26656

Depends on the state. Unfamiliar with Ohio. Basically though, adverse possession arguments are like vague and ancient and are rumored to predate the magna carta. I have tried squatting about 5 or 6 different locations and you quickly find that no house is truly ever vacant. The problem with houses around here is that alot of them are still owned by banks who claim to not own them. As a result they are on the market for hundreds of thousands of dollars more than they are worth. The foundations crack, the copper gets torn out. That alone is a huge expense. No one is adjusting the price because the owner (the bank) doesnt want a toxic asset left over from the 2008 market crash. As a result there are some really good roofs going to waste that could have really good gardens. Now I am an anarchist but the system has pounded my ass enough for me to be a realistic anarchist, you have to pay taxes on the property to get it in your name at the end of the adverse posession. Taxes on property are negligable, more of a dominance assertion from on high. That was my elevator pitch I think. Any specific questions?

Fuck the banks. Occupy their foreclosures.
Hmmm...I mean..ok..I'm a train hopper. I pretty routinely squat abandoned buildings, particularly here in the rust belt. I'm frequently stumbling upon them.
But, the whole thing of like registering to get mail there, mowing the lawn, et cetera...it freaks me out. I feel like I'm always in the shadows and hiding, and doing it in passing.
I just worry, you know, wtf. What if I do it more permenately and the cops show up and are like, "well who the fuck are you?", You know?
And I have a dog, do I try not to get arrested.
All that being said, I truly admire and respect what you're doing. It's fucking awesome dude.
I almost feel like I would post a copy of the actual law on the door lol

Sleyeborg

Reaction score
You are welcome here any time.
Putting the law on the door is brilliant. I will do that.
As for the cops, they can't stop us all.

So hopefully it doesnt stay just me. There is a ton of opportunity in roswell and around
Not enough people.

D

Deleted member 26656

You are welcome here any time.
Putting the law on the door is brilliant. I will do that.
As for the cops, they can't stop us all.

So hopefully it doesnt stay just me. There is a ton of opportunity in roswell and around
Not enough people.
God dude, that's the case in so many areas in this country. Pretty much from Philly to Milwaukee is like blown out and blighted. Lots and lots of abandoned buildings just rotting and being wasted.
It's my understanding that one of the reason adverse possession laws were crafted, in order to prevent this type of building decay.
However, as you have pointed out, the laws are rarely utilized to ones advantage in order to obtain housing. It's like this whole process has been forgotten about, right?

D

Deleted member 26656

Are you familiar with the people that were squatting in Albany, NY ?
They were like anarchy squatters or whatever?
Now there's a town with a lot of abandoned stuff. Pittsburgh too...oh man, the whole rust belt.
Seems so damn wasteful, right?

D

Deleted member 26656

Yo, I might swing by out there, for real. I'm pretty nomadic, so can't directly ensure any long term comitment, but I'd definitely like to kick it with you and shoot the shit!

Sleyeborg

Reaction score
Yo, I might swing by out there, for real. I'm pretty nomadic, so can't directly ensure any long term comitment, but I'd definitely like to kick it with you and shoot the shit!
Fuck yes!
Dont feel compelled to stay longterm.
So far 100 percent of the people involved who are not me are heavily nomadic. Get on over here and let's tear it up!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads