Rocky Mount NC xmas eve

mrose

Reaction score
I found myself back in kw FL after my trip to buffalo NY on the back of a motorcycle. I ended up taking grey hound back part of the way and getting off and hitch hiking the rest, that turned into another story that I won’t get into.

After being in key west and slipping back into my old ways I needed to get out fast.
A fellow traveler met and we left hitch hiked north and caught a ride all the way to Savannah GA by a guy who was coked out chain smoking cigarettes but was cool. After he let us out we found the train yard. Hopped out north bound only to wake up in rocky mount NC. It was just us and maybe 3 or 4 cars left. We got out and started down a dirt road. At the time we were pretty hooked on alcohol and had to sit for a little while and start getting the shakes off. For some reason we didn’t get well before we started into town which was odd for me as I always hated shaking. It all these little things that seemed to guide to a bigger picture. Things kept happening differently then they usually would have gone..

Like w h y did we have a jug of wine riding trains? Or at all for that matter.. wouldn’t a box have done us better.. I don’t quite remember how we came to obtain this jug in the first plAce.. and why not empty it into a different container. . the possibility’s endless.. and still.. there we were

I remember it was pretty cold maybe starting to rain so we kept on. We found a corner store and when my friend set his pack down we heard it.. but it was that moment that led us on a far more important journey.

To our dismay the jug of wine had cracked as we saw the red liquid start to pool out the bottom onto the concrete. We just stood there in disbelief. Not to worry we had a few dollars on us.. only to find out they didn’t start selling until 12

The fear crept in as it was early probably not past 6 am.. what to do.. the worst feeling is just sitting there shaking waiting to start seeing and feeling things that arnt there as the time drags on and a clawing scratching nawing feeling starts to set in.. any glimmer of hope starts to fade and back comes the dreaded shakes…

So we started walking.. what else to do.. down a old two lane highway.. i remember picking up empty bottles and sucking down the last drop.. it was useless.. walked by a random church as all the towns people started to stare… kept walking…
Hours passed maybe two more until that fateful noon

We got into town and started flying a sign, we made a 20$ bill and moved to in front of the old little grocery store.. waiting.. the manager came out and gave us a 20$ gift card to the store..
eventually my friend came walking out with a box of wine. The manager was cool af let us chill there and get well. People kept handing us money and food. Finally my spirit started to come back into my body.. I was able to speak again..
i always knew when we would feel better because we’d start talking.. then talking shit.. about who even knows.. then laughing.. and then what i cannot say.. but I do know my chest wasn’t fluttering and my heart calmed down and I could see.. I could start to eat

So long to the manager who kept coming out and talking to us.. we found ourselves behind a gas station that night.. sitting on milk crates and taking into the night sharing beers we must have decided it better to switch for now... it was x mas eve.. snow had gently started to fall and we dreamt of getting a dog someday soon..

The next morning we awoke.. drinking our morning beer we were better and started out again.. not sure of where or what we were doing but embark we did

There on the corner stood a man, it was xmas morning and in his arms was a puppy, ALAS!!! how much for the pup
40$ he replied. We had 12 .50$ and there I stood with my puppy in my arms…

I remember walking back toward the store people had been watching and started handing us money.. I ran back and gave the man a few more dollars and then went to get my pup some food and water..

And so it went… with many more adventures at wait we began our destined journey together.. with many a tale to tell.. 10 years later and we have a bond that cannot be broken.. he sleeps next to me right now.. probably dreaming of the road.. back in the day.. when things were different then..

<3

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads