Road books | Squat the Planet

Road books

transcendentalhobo

Reaction score
I've compiled a list of books and 'zines I've read, and a handful of movies I've watched about Traveling. Of course a lot of it is outdated if you're looking for advice, but the spirit of the work holds true in my experience or understanding of the places I haven't been. I also name one 'zinester who's zine I read I can't remember the name of. And that section's a bit tricky because they aren't exclusively Travel 'zines so some whole issues won't be about Traveling. But you might be able to find most of the books at a library near you and I watched at least a couple of the films on the youtube. Please reply with your own lists!

Books:

The Sunset Route by Carrot Quinn

Hobo: A Young Man's Thoughts on Trains and Tramping in America by Eddie Joe Cotton

Boxcar Bertha by Dr. Ben Reitman

Railroad Semantics by Aaron Dactyl

Tramping With Tramps: Studies and Sketches of Vagabond Life by Josiah Flynt

You can't Win by Jack Black

The Road by Jack London

Poverty and Vagrancy in Tudor London by John F. Pound

Riding the Rails: Teenagers on the Move During the Great Depression by Errol Lincoln Uys

Mostly True: The Story of Bozo Texino by Bill Daniel

Enrique's Journey by Sonia Nazario

Train Song by Walker Lee

Boomer: Railroad Memoirs by Linda G. Niemann

Travels with Lizbeth: Three Years on the Road and on the Streets by Lars Eighner

Tramp Printers: Forgotten Trails of the Traveling Typographers by Charles Overbeck

Evasion

On the Road and Desolation Angels by Jack Kerouac

'Zines/sters:

The Hobo-Tramp Voice

Scam

Joey Alone

Cometbus

No Gods, No Mattress

Films:

Who is Bozo Texino?

Asalto al Sueno

Sin Nombre

Catching Out

Riding the Rails

transcendentalhobo

Reaction score
evasion is a crimethink book i think

Yes, but the author has his own webpage and seems like a friendly and down to earth person:

I met him briefly way back in 2002 when Lost Films Fest came to Clevo, and we corresponded a bit afterwards about Road Books, this list is somewhat inspired by all that.

I Consulted the Oracle about him recently and found that website, and told him about how I read Hobo and also met Eddie Joe Cotton after he recommended his book to me!

Reactions: MxEx

Glass Roads

Reaction score
Vagabonding by Rolf Potts

Rule of the Bone by Russell Banks

Off the Map by Crimethinc

A couple I met at a festival put out a neat little 3 part zine on their travels in a van at trannytramping.wordpress.com

A cool dude I met at a festival puts put cool videos about his world travels on

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads