Ramps and fiddleheads

Minky

Reaction score
Yesterday I found some ramps and fiddleheads. Both can be found in oak woods in damp areas. Ramps are like a small onion, they have two bright green leaves and smell strongly of onion. Fiddleheads are immature form of the ostrich fern. Only the heads can be eaten and must be boiled for ten minutes before eating. Please id all plants correctly before eating.

Minky

Reaction score
A pic of the ramps and fiddleheads.

Attachments

• 20180507_122238.jpg
    20180507_122238.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 303

Billy Cougar White

Reaction score
mmmm fiddleheads, that takes me back to my childhood in Nova Scotia

tony longshanks

Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Ferns remind me of centipedes. Isn't that weird?

coltsfoot

Reaction score
Awesome, it's fiddlehead season here in Maine too. We don't have ostrich where I live but plenty of bracken, which I eat a good amount during its short season. I'm still looking hard trying to find ramps... Thanks for the inspiration! Also always on the hunt for morels...

Another one of my favorites for right now is what we call sasparilla. Like fiddleheads, you eat the shoots before the leaves have unfurled. It's a smaller plant but really nice mixed in with a meal. latin is aralia nudicaulis

Reactions: Minky

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads