On my way to Oregon from Miami

RayGD76

Reaction score
I’m on the road again after several years off. I did a lot of leather tramping many years ago, then switched to rubber. Now my vehicle is out of commission, gas is expensive, and it seems like hitchhiking is even harder than it used to be (I blame COVID). So this time I’m riding freight for the first time, and doing it alone. I’ve made it about 1200 miles in about 4 days of actual travel, not counting down time.
I left Miami on the FEC railway last week after being stuck in Florida for two years. Got to Jacksonville the next morning and the sweltering heat was just about killing me. At that point I decided I needed to get as far north as quickly as I possibly could.
I was able to get someone to buy me a no-tell-motel room for the night and the next day hopped a NS IM bound for Chicago. 24 hours later as the train was stopping for a c-c in Chattanooga got soaked in the rain and there was a severe thunderstorm warning throughout the region. So I hopped off again.
Took me a couple days to get back on the same NS route, and finally made it to Chicago yesterday. Now I’m looking to catch out and ride the hi line.
Anyway, I dunno if this counts as a proper introduction but there it is. I’ll probably be in Chicago for another day so if anyone wants to hang out…

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads