Hey guys, young newbie here, so go easy.

Stella Lum

Reaction score
So my name is Stella, I'm 18 and I just joined here, and it's a pretty good community from what I've seen. I'm not travelling at the moment but I plan to in the future, when- I don't know. I'm just looking for some buddies to talk to and get some travelling tips from for the future. I haven't travelled much, only been to Florida when I was in 8th grade with my aunt, uncle, and cousin, and around southern Maine. I come from a pretty sheltered household, no siblings either, so it gets pretty lonely. I'm totally just in love with hitch hiking and freight hopping, and doing other shit outside of the system. I hope to meet some awesome people here and hear some awesome stories too!

Reactions: 209 and AdmiralBean

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! What drew me to this place were the stories - the good times and their bad times. And I stayed obviously ... Lots of sage advice is here!

Reactions: Stella Lum
J

Johnny P

get a backpack, get a sleeping bag, maybe a change of clothes...since you are female maybe a nice knife and a can of mace....pick a destination, go to the nearest interstate and put yer thumb out...everything else will come after:)

Have fun!

• Useful
Reactions: NomadicHobo

TheWindAndRain

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
What drew me to travelling is pokemon.

Wow I never thought about it until now but it did for me too
Anyways welcome to the site op. Sone people will Perpetually put off traveling. The only people that go are those that go now. Hope you find the courage to take control of your life and go

Stella Lum

Reaction score
get a backpack, get a sleeping bag, maybe a change of clothes...since you are female maybe a nice knife and a can of mace....pick a destination, go to the nearest interstate and put yer thumb out...everything else will come after:)

Have fun!
Since I am female I'd definitely need a knife, and I'm probably going to find a travel partner when I do decide to go somewhere because being a young female in a world jam packed with scumbags I could get seriously hurt.

TheWindAndRain

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Since I am female I'd definitely need a knife... being a young female in a world jam packed with scumbags I could get seriously hurt.

You probably won't but you could. Ive never found any use for a knife. Use your head instead and dont leta knife or mace be what makes you brave. No one is out to get you. They are all too busy trying to get ahead

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Since I am female I'd definitely need a knife
In my opinion you shouldn't carry a knife (other than cutlery) unless you know how to use it for self defense. The impression "oh, I have a knife I can defend myself" without knowing exactly how to do that is misleading IMHO. Instead of self defense it could be that you deliver a deadly weapon to a (otherwise) unarmed opponent if you don't know how to use it. See, I'm a guy and I won't carry a knife. Cause I wouldn't know how to use it properly for self defense when it comes to a confrontation.
Just my opinion ...

Stella Lum

Reaction score
In my opinion you shouldn't carry a knife (other than cutlery) unless you know how to use it for self defense. The impression "oh, I have a knife I can defend myself" without knowing exactly how to do that is misleading IMHO. Instead of self defense it could be that you deliver a deadly weapon to a (otherwise) unarmed opponent if you don't know how to use it. See, I'm a guy and I won't carry a knife. Cause I wouldn't know how to use it properly for self defense when comes to a confrontation.
Just my opinion ...
Well yeah obv

Stella Lum

Reaction score
I have very little experience. I'm a noob. ;) But from all what I read (here and otherwise) knifes and other weapons are not exactly a good idea if you're not trained to use them. Physically and mentally. As said, only my opinion. Welcome here, btw ... :)
Thanks c:

Stella Lum

Reaction score
A sturdy walking stick might be enough for self defense. More reach, and less legal issues.

That said, you'll probably need a small knife anyway, just as a tool.
True, legal issues suck. Yeah, I know I'd need it for a tool anyway, I have a little Sheffield multi tool knife thing my old best friend gave me.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I come from a pretty sheltered household, no siblings either, so it gets pretty lonely

i know what you mean on that... i'm still stuck at my parent's house and i don't have any friends out here, so i mainly socialize on my own website until i can get out of here :p

personally, i'm not a fan of the "don't take a knife, someone will use it against you!" rhetoric, that's just silly. when it comes to travel culture, 90% of self defense is just showing folks you have a knife (in a confrontation, not casually). what's the first thing you think to yourself when someone points a knife at you? is it "hey im going to take a huge risk and try and wrestle the knife from this girl and stab her with it", or is it "oh shit, this person isn't fucking around, and might hurt me (purposefully or accidentally)"?

the thing is, is when you get in one of those sketchy situations, you're sure as shit going to be glad you have that knife on you. i was every time it happened to me.

also, try to have it belt accessible.

• Haha
Reactions: NomadicHobo

Stella Lum

Reaction score
i know what you mean on that... i'm still stuck at my parent's house and i don't have any friends out here, so i mainly socialize on my own website until i can get out of here :p

personally, i'm not a fan of the "don't take a knife, someone will use it against you!" rhetoric, that's just silly. when it comes to travel culture, 90% of self defense is just showing folks you have a knife (in a confrontation, not casually). what's the first thing you think to yourself when someone points a knife at you? is it "hey im going to take a huge risk and try and wrestle the knife from this girl and stab her with it", or is it "oh shit, this person isn't fucking around, and might hurt me (purposefully or accidentally)"?

the thing is, is when you get in one of those sketchy situations, you're sure as shit going to be glad you have that knife on you. i was every time it happened to me.

also, try to have it belt accessible.
Yeah I'm not a fan of that either, its like people think too hard into it. Glad you can relate though, I barely have any friends irl now lol. Thanks for the advice c:

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I like the walking staff idea. Go Gandalf.
I was actually asking someone they're opinion on that not too long ago. Succuri...
It might be fun to make one yourself.

And hey and look at this one I just came across... ::cigar::
Skull_Headed_walking_stick_by_Mokavu.jpg

Having said all that... there is absolutely no reason not to have at least one multipurpose knife... even if it is just the one on a multitool.

OH and welcome to the site. ::eyepatch::

Stella Lum

Reaction score
I like the walking staff idea. Go Gandalf.
I was actually asking someone they're opinion on that not too long ago. Succuri...
It might be fun to make one yourself.

And hey and look at this one I just came across... ::cigar::
Skull_Headed_walking_stick_by_Mokavu.jpg

Having said all that... there is absolutely no reason not to have at least one multipurpose knife... even if it is just the one on a multitool.

OH and welcome to the site. ::eyepatch::
Lol go Gandalf. When I go for walks on the tracks down at the lake I usually carry a big stick anyway, and I probably will in future travels. That's wicked awesome though, looks like some sort of evil shaman staff. And thanks!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads