New to RV living! Any tips?

dumpsterjumper

Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
My partner just bought an 89 ford flair RV. She runs great, if a little rough around the edges on the inside. Our plan is to do some repairs and fix up the inside and be on the road within a few months. We will be full time, staying in the PNW area. I've squatted and done some vanlife and couchsurfing and travelling before, but im new to being responsible for a big rig like we have now. Any advice for a newbie RV lifer?

• Best of Luck!
Reactions: marymemarryme

MichelleA66

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I've lived in a 1995 Gulfstream Sunsport (Ford 460 7.5L engine on an F53 chassis) for the last 11 years. You'll learn the quirks of your rig as you go. You'll save a ton of money if you can repair your own rig. Accumulate tools to do so. Use forums to research engine troubles cuz you will have them. It's inevitable. Check your tires before every trip. When your toilet burps, it's time to empty. Keep your house batteries charged. When remodeling, consider weight placement and use lightweight materials as much as possible. Man, there's a shit ton to learn but again, you'll learn as you go. I'm not a mechanic but I can probably diagnose others' vehicle issues due to the many problems experienced over the years. It's a very cost effective way to live if you do it right. You've already got experience with finding free spots I'm guessing as a rubber tramper. Best of luck. Hope you enjoy your new home 🍀

Groundscore

Reaction score
Check for leaks NOW -- find them BEFORE a rainstorm in the middle of a cold night!

Buy a set of jumper cables; you'll thank me the first time you use them!

Get a basic set of tools, better quality is best. The more you can repair the more money you will keep in your pocket later.

Check your fuel lines, hoses, and belts. If any look cracked or worn, replace them now. Replacing things on the road is not fun! It's much better to be able to work on something in a controlled environment, on your time.

Check all the fluids; change any that look suspect. Oil is cheap compared to an engine. When you flush the radiator, be sure to run the coach heater; as you will want to flush that heater core so to keep it working as it should.

Make sure you get a good patch kit, and a small 12-volt DC powered air compressor, along with an air gauge. While you're at it, make sure you have a flashlight or headlamp, as the one time you don't is the one time you will have a flat in the dark. Besides, the headlamp will come in handy anytime you are working in low light, as you'll need both hands to work with.
Next, check the condition and air pressure of your spare, as it sucks to have a flat, but it sucks way more to have one and only then find out that your spare is also flat.

Make sure you check the lug nuts with your wrench, as many shops put on new tires with air guns set too high, making it impossible to remove them without a better lug wrench and/or cheater bar. This is also when you will find out if you have locking lug nuts; if you do, make sure you keep the "key" for them, and don't let a tire shop forget to give it back to you!
In your case, you might need a torque multiplier to remove those tires on that RV.

Also make sure you know where your jack is, where it goes, and try it out. You want to make sure you are ready and able to change a tire BEFORE you have to!

Consider changing the locks on the outer bins if you keep anything valuable in them, as most RVs use the same CH751 key.

Make sure you test out every system to make sure it works as it should. -- Read up on your rig, watch videos on YouTube, see what there is to look out for based on the experience of others, using your type of RV.

Try to save up as much of an emergency fund as you can. $1000 is a good start, $5000 is much better.

Check out what it costs to tow your RV; I know it's not something that you want to think about, but you need to. If you can't cover that, and the repair, if things go really sideways your new home could end up in an impound yard; I've seen it happen several times...

Reactions: MichelleA66

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads