New here, just getting a feel for the site.

• Thread starter Deleted member 28150
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 28150

Hey everyone! Just trying to get a feel for the site. Looking for online pen pals and/or potential traveling buddies in the U.S.

Don't be afraid to say hi ;)

Older Than Dirt

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Going faster miles an hour.
Gonna drive to the Stop 'n' Shop,
With the radio on, at night.

And I say: Roadrunner once!
Roadrunner twice!
I'm in love with rock & roll,
And I'll be out all night!
Like a roadrunner.
That's right.
With the
Radio on!

• Love It
Reactions: Juan Derlust
D

Deleted member 20

Welcome to STP @RoadRunner I 'm not much of an online penpal or traveling buddy myself. Hell, I aint exactly the most welcoming and or social here. Welcome all the same! There is always a good mix of people, coming & going round here. I do not know your level of skill or experience with anything. So, I will just assume that you are either completely green & or been tramping around since Woodstock 1969 or Mudstock 1994. My advice is don't ask for advice. We have a shit ton of valuable insight on just about anything & everything here. It takes some sifting & deciphering at times but its all here. Everything else will be found under the soles of your boots while traveling your collection of miles. Most likely some of the traveling community is in NOLA for Mardi Gras with it being Fat Tuesday. I myself am middle-aged, sober, married with children & pets; employed & off the road. Surely there will be others that will reach out to you; many are planning to travel, temporarily housed up and then those crustier fucks who you may interact with once they get out of jail or other shitstorm that they have found themselves in; down in the bayou.

Laissez les bons temps rouler (let the good times roll)

🚂🚃🎺🥁🚂⛱🚋🚋🚋🚃

D

Deleted member 28150

Welcome to STP @RoadRunner I 'm not much of an online penpal or traveling buddy myself. Hell, I aint exactly the most welcoming and or social here. Welcome all the same! There is always a good mix of people, coming & going round here. I do not know your level of skill or experience with anything. So, I will just assume that you are either completely green & or been tramping around since Woodstock 1969 or Mudstock 1994. My advice is don't ask for advice. We have a shit ton of valuable insight on just about anything & everything here. It takes some sifting & deciphering at times but its all here. Everything else will be found under the soles of your boots while traveling your collection of miles. Most likely some of the traveling community is in NOLA for Mardi Gras with it being Fat Tuesday. I myself am middle-aged, sober, married with children & pets; employed & off the road. Surely there will be others that will reach out to you; many are planning to travel, temporarily housed up and then those crustier fucks who you may interact with once they get out of jail or other shitstorm that they have found themselves in; down in the bayou.

Laissez les bons temps rouler (let the good times roll)

🚂🚃🎺🥁🚂⛱🚋🚋🚋🚃

Hey! Thanks for the welcome.

Been doing the tramp thing cross country for 20 years, mostly on the Dog. Drove once cross country and loved it. I've never hitchhiked or caught one out. I would love to, but getting older now.

Not really looking for advice so to speak, mostly for anyone who may have an extra seat in their car, or possible couch to crash on.

I'll be honest, I never knew this site exists. I would've been here years ago when I really needed it.

D

Deleted member 20

The Dirty Dog is a tough mode to travel on, IMO. Ive done it a few times and doubt I ever will again. Megabus has been good to me when ever located where they stop. Our crustsurfing & ride board sections are all hit or miss. The universe has to be perfectly aligned for shit to line up but its possible. Glad you found us.

Older Than Dirt

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I don't know why everybody here hates on the bus so hard, though i definitely agree Megabus or Bolt Bus every time over Greyhound.

This next bit is ultra-'70s punk nerdism, but the version of "Roadrunner" that @highwayman posted is the 1975 "Beserkley Chartbusters" remake, with The Greg Kihn Band backing Jonathan, and he is already into his "music should be soft so children like it" phase. (i don't know where he gets that stuff- when my son was very small, his favorite bands were The Wiggles (ex-punks, BTW), and The Cramps).

The original 1972 version with The Modern Lovers (including future Cars and Talking Heads) was made when Jonathan was still in his "biggest Velvet Underground fan in the whole world" phase, and is harder, heavier, and faster, and in every way better. Produced by John Cale from the Velvets; there is also a Kim Fowley-produced version.

The first song/band i ever heard referred to as "punk rock", when i heard it on a freeform FM station in maybe 1974-5; changed my life (along with the NY Dolls).

Last edited:
Reactions: Juan Derlust
D

Deleted member 28150

I'd always taken the Dog where I went. Only complaints I have about the Dog are the new buses with wifi (can no longer sneak a smoke in the bathroom. In this old bus I rode, there was a decent size hole to blow smoke out of. ), and the one time my bus broke down in Benson, AZ, waited for 6 hours for the next bus, only to be dumped on the Whitewater exit on I-10 cuz the sumbitch driver wasn't stopping in PS (which was my stop).

Other than that, I love the Dirty Dog. Plenty of interesting people running from something or nothing.

D

Deleted member 20

I could probably go into much more minutia as to the disadvantages of bus travel in general then I ever could further speak on the subject of what pre 1977 punk is to me. Heres 2 cents worth, anyway.

As I was only born in 1977 & that which was brewing in punk such as the dolls, blondie, ramones, stooges, sex pistols that could be traced back to the late 60s still wasn't accepted by the mainstream until much later. I appreciate music and the mixture of non-linear histories but try to never get into pissing matches with fellow punks as to what is or isnt punk. Its all rocking roll to me. Just as the electric blues, country, folk genres influenced early Rock of the 1950s. The kids of that day had to rebel against something and create a sound & style that represented this. The subculture is so diverse and we have come so far yet still seem to return to similar themes that other youth cultures had in their day.. Punk to me is not giving a fuck or having to fit into anything or agree with any authority. Many would say the same about early rock & future variants of genres that have yet to be identified yet.

I was introduced to blondie, the pogues & DKM first as a young adult between 94-97. I got into NOFX, Pennywise & other socal bands shortly after. Most everyone knows that my favorite band is the Dropkick Murphys.. Before getting intimately antiquated with them as friends I remember trying to give away an extra ticket to a fellow fan after doors at a stadium show. There was a scalper there trying to give me $5 bucks & stating that doors had already opened & the venue wasnt sold to capacity. I distinctly remember him saying that DKM was not the Rolling Stones. I also remember saying that for us diehard DKM fans, they were our Stones. They were bigger then the stones imo & I ripped the ticket up in front of the scalper & went in to enjoy the show. Just as many people got exposed to Blink 182 & they consumed that band as being punk (for them). I wouldnt argue that it wasnt but as with anything "art is in the eye of the beholder'. Art needs an audience and Punk is art. So often we try to argue what separates us instead of finding commonality to what binds us together.

I never was an educated fan of the Modern Lovers or Jonathon Richman but always loved versions of that song. I am always for harder & faster and keep trying to encourage young Boston bands to do a cover of it within their modern teenage styles. I still like how my neighborhood is mentioned on such a popular if not somewhat obscure 1970s song.

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads