New here, and learning alot

LeonB

Reaction score
I woke up this morning with a crippling NEED to move. In any and every direction, just get out of this place I am currently. That lead me to STP, and I have to say I'm grateful, this seems like an awsome community!

Any ways, me; jack of all trades but never left my hometown. thats about to change, and its terrifying but exciting. I am torn between just taking off in my car, or selling it to buy a van, or just selling it all and grabbing a good backpack and some durable shoes. this is all going to take me a bit to figure out but the plan is in motion. I am a musician (bass, guitar, drums, mando, banjo, and learning harmonica), mechanic, photographer, artist, and a general maker personality.

so as i pick the collective forum mind, and take in as much info as possible, i invite anyone to pick my brain in return. ask me a question about the above subjects and i will do my best to answer. or just ask me something completely random. or ignore me i guess, but you would be missing out!

if you read this i thank you and if you skimmed it, i cant blame you haha.

Hudson

Reaction score
First time I went on an extended trip was with a car, there are upsides and downsides. Primarily gas, insurance and finding a place to park to sleep.

Second and 3rd time i went out and about was on foot and freight train with some friends. I won't be the only one to tell you it is nice not having a financial burden or property woes when your bumming around. Ultimately its a decision that comes with pros and cons; you just have to decide which way you want to go.

I liked not having to worry about my truck. Where I parked it, where I was gonna park it. If my friends were taking off one way and my car was the other way.

There's a biblical plague right now though so it's something to think about before you take off.

Welcome to the STP forums.

D

Deleted member 23824

I woke up this morning with a crippling NEED to move. In any and every direction, just get out of this place I am currently. That lead me to STP, and I have to say I'm grateful, this seems like an awsome community!

Any ways, me; jack of all trades but never left my hometown. thats about to change, and its terrifying but exciting. I am torn between just taking off in my car, or selling it to buy a van, or just selling it all and grabbing a good backpack and some durable shoes. this is all going to take me a bit to figure out but the plan is in motion. I am a musician (bass, guitar, drums, mando, banjo, and learning harmonica), mechanic, photographer, artist, and a general maker personality.

so as i pick the collective forum mind, and take in as much info as possible, i invite anyone to pick my brain in return. ask me a question about the above subjects and i will do my best to answer. or just ask me something completely random. or ignore me i guess, but you would be missing out!

if you read this i thank you and if you skimmed it, i cant blame you haha.

Welcome . If you’ve the funds to buy, then build out a reliable “stealth” van, you can move around, work gigs, see what part of the country you like. You’ll always have a cozy homebase, where you’ll not have to pay rent, and you can move on , at will.

D

Deleted member 23824

How much does it cost to make a van conversion?

Like almost anything, there’s no set cost. Can be a few hundred to many thousands. Depends on wants, needs, DIY skills, etc. The main thing is spending up front as much as you can to find a reliable low-mileage cargo van, in my opinion. One woman built her own simple bed out of 2x4’s and plywood, and literally EVERYTHING else came pre-made from WalMart, including tables, storage drawers, camp stove, portapottie. A dedicated Craigslister/scrounger can source these cheap or free, over time, while on the road. It need not cost a fortune, or take years to build. Moderator Coywolf is building his while he lives in it. There is an ongoing thread right now by a member in the U.K. There are people that take off with an air mattress, a cooler, and a Coleman stove.

SammiePa

Reaction score
Website
www.stephenbartlettwriter.com
Nice to meet you. I’m heading out soon too and still deciding if I’m gonna drive the Subaru Outback I have with more than 265,000 until it stops running and then continue through a combination of hitchhiking and train hopping or see if I can get whatever I can get for it and have some more money in my pocket and start right away on foot and by train. I know I’m mostly excited and a little nervous either way. Best of luck to you

LeonB

Reaction score
thanks for the responses and warm welcome! as well as a few things to keep in mind. luckily im pretty handy and can do all the work my self, and it gives me a nice goal to work towards. I also drive a subaru, but its a legacy and it has 370k on it haha. so yours might live for quite a long time!

Reactions: SammiePa

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads