My purpose in life is to walk the perimeter of the US, busking and giving smiles

wanderbusk

Reaction score
I am preparing to walk the perimeter of the US beginning in the summer of 2024 but no later than the spring of 2025. I am currently getting all my health in check both physically and mentally before I head out, as well as learning as much as I can about what this lifestyle might entail. It's too bad this website is going down soon. I will be utilizing it for much info.

I've had 2 moments in life, both within the last 4 years of my 42 years of existence, where I had a moment and said "That's it. That's what I'm supposed to do."

The first one was having a vision of myself performing standup comedy, which I have been doing for over 4 years now (though tried several times during 2 different eras in life but I wasn't ready then) and which certainly wears me out emotionally at times as I work so hard to get better to such slow results and sometimes humiliating moments on stage. But those great moments are indescribable.

The second one stemmed from an big goal/idea of a traveling comedy/music show that I wanted to put on completely for free and also have a comedy open mic and an open music stage once all of my performance was done so that anyone that wanted to participate could be a part of the show. One day, after putting on a big comedy show I worked hard to put together, I realized I needed to start working on something big for sooner rather than later and the idea of walking the perimeter of the US while performing came to me and I knew immediately that I was supposed to do it.

I've been entertaining most of my life, most of which as a musician. I have suffered a lot form performance anxiety that has translated to the stage during most of those performances yet I still love performing and I am working heavily now in fighting the anxiety. You would think that one would quit after decades of fighting that, but I realized it's something I can beat and I am getting better with the stage as we speak. I just have to keep doing it and keep up my end of the deal.

I love all kinds of music, thanks to my dad, and I love laughing...and I love having fun.

My favorite thing in life has always been to help people smile, something I realized only in the last few years but I always tried to do. It's what made standup comedy such an obvious choice for me. I was a people pleaser all my life but now that is not nearly as strong in my life anymore and I still see that I love helping people smile.

There are no underlying political, social, religious or whatever other beliefs fueling this adventure other than that it feels like what I am supposed to do. This is the only way that I believe I can make a positive impact in the only way I know how and that I have drive for. Whether we have an objective purpose in life is besides the point to me. It feels right for me to do.

I've spent many years with drug and alcohol problems and did many horrible things in life. I've also done many interesting things in life like quitting a career I had spent lots of time, money, and effort building, but wasn't for me. I started working at 11 and have had plenty of years of working experience to know that the normal working life isn't for me. Only performing has ever giving me any kind of satisfaction that I was doing something good and worthwhile.

I'm on the fence whether I want to be a ghost or do this using social media. I don't like how I react to social media but don't care if others use it. I just want to stay off but friends keep telling me it will help make the biggest impact for what I want to do. I don't want recognition, just to perform and move on. One friend gave me the idea of making videos and sending them to him and he could post them. At least I wouldn't be on social media myself. I

I'm scared of this whole trip. I am mortified of the loneliness that it will bring more than any other dangers it will entail. I already feel lonely in life and have for many years. But I have to do this. I will learn things about myself and life that I have no idea I will learn. I will hate myself for doing this at times and I will love myself for doing it at times. I know it's going to be a rough road.

Thank you for reading. I know I probably left some things out.

AyeAaron

Hobocop
Reaction score
Good luck, I definitely agree that loneliness is a bigger issue on the road than actual danger. Though sometimes I'd get paranoid out in bear country at night, especially deep in the mountains

I think it helps not to rush from city to city, gives you a chance to meet people when you find a good spot
Maybe start somewhere you have a chance of finding people to travel with, one of the hobo mecca's

Reactions: wanderbusk

wanderbusk

Reaction score
Thank you. I plan not to rush, which is something I've been working hard at in life lately. I know I will want to travel alone for parts and probably not for other parts. Everything is all up in the air right now.

Reactions: AnotherNerd

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads