My first year out

The Hiker

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

It's been about a year since I escaped the marines, and what a year. So much weirdo shit has happened (at least by my standards) and I wanted to share some of it.

Lived in a toolshed in the spring, where I was working. Restored an old barn, while hunting rabbits and tracking coyotes in my free time. Went on a vision quest and had a vision through a piece of tree sap, then got my soul back which was weird. Moved to Montana, lived at a survival school where we tanned bison hides in the middle of a blizzard.

Moved to Idaho, helped build a sweat lodge, taught at a different survival school, then I got kicked out which sucked. Went a week without any human interaction which also sucked. Had a good summer, then went straight into a weird fucking winter.

Flipped my car and somehow was totally ok, helped put out a chimney fire for the first time, skinned lots of roadkill deer and a cougar 😺 finally figured out how to drive in the snow. Now I'm just working, trying to hold my mind together until March.

I miss the friends I made here a few years ago, and I hope you're all staying warm and dry. Hopefully this spring I can get to traveling again, and maybe make some new road friends or run into old ones.

helyah

Reaction score
Glad to hear you were okay after flipping your car. Same thing happened to me and it was strange seeing all the damage to my truck but feeling completely fine. Just had a bad seat belt bruise for the next week.

Hoping spring comes early for you.

croc

Reaction score
Ayy, always good to see an update from ya dude! Glad ur still kickin

Whatchu got goin on in March?

The Hiker

Reaction score
Ayy, always good to see an update from ya dude! Glad ur still kickin

Whatchu got goin on in March?

Hey Croc, good to hear from you! Hope winter has been kind to you. I'm moving to Montana in March to go back to the 1st survival school I mentioned. Gonna explore a lot, try to start foraging and sell what I find to restaurants and farmer's market, something like that.

• Love It
Reactions: Nomad and croc

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
glad you're doing okay! you might want to consider coming out to our next jambo this year, maybe see some of the old crew and some new peoples.

oh and im going to be in portland, oregon for a bit if you want to come by here.

The Hiker

Reaction score
glad you're doing okay! you might want to consider coming out to our next jambo this year, maybe see some of the old crew and some new peoples.

oh and im going to be in portland, oregon for a bit if you want to come by here.

Dude I'd fucking love that! If I can get there I will. I'll let you know if I swing through your area. Hope you're doing well.

Reactions: Matt Derrick

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads