Motorized Recumbent Trikes

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
Anyone get into this mode of bike life?
Right now I have a Catrike road..
IMG_4525.JPG
The laid back position is incredibly comfortable, and the rider is able to draw an immense amount of power from against the seat. Hills are not the easiest until one gets their 'recumbent legs' and highway visibility to drivers is poor - that's a good reason to stick to backroads, which a smart tourer should do anyway.
Adding a gas motor to one of these is probably the ideal setup. It's the best of a car - a sit-down machine that demands little of you physically to traverse long distances - without the worst: DMV, insurance, tickets, shitty fuel economy, or the alienating removal from the wind and elements that a car gives.
With my Golden Eagle Bike engine, I pay about 3 cents a mile, including the cost of oil and maintenance. That's crossing the US for less than $100, going between 20 and 35mph the whole way. Some setups get pretty crazy:
2fe946b98c679c1f179b18de96fcaff4--canopies-left.jpg
af4fa19b3343f084ff01df511affa9c3.jpg
These things do get pricey, however, with some intense Craigslisting, you can get the deals. Search the entire country (which is tedious) and physically go to where the best deal is. My Catrike road I got for abut $40 in Boston, though new they sell for $2800, and used they sell for half that. How? I offered to barter my skills as a woodworker - trading a reclaimed barnwood tabletop and nightstand for the trike. Another deal I found which I intend to purchase is a KMX frame kit trike for $500. These frame kits are sold on Amazon, meaning Zim's Amazi(o)n' scam can be done to get a free one. Build it yourself, and put a motor on.
I would estimate that anyone intending to buy a car to dwell out of would be able to get one of these systems running for a comparable price. And, if the gas price shoots up because of war or OPEC or peak oil or if the real-deal Mad Max days set in, you're still getting ten times better MPG than anyone else on the road, which is not true in a car.
At the next level are velomobiles:
gerry2.jpg
These machines are constructed to maximally limit exposure to the elements and to reduce wind drag. The efficiency of a velomobile is so radically improved that one may see improvements of 20 to 40% in the efficiency of the vehicle. This velomobile here was DIYed with coroplast - corrugated plastic which sells from the manufacturer, Sabic, for about $20 per 4x8 sheet.
The only problem with these one may find is that the law finds them curious. They are viewed with curiosity by many city police. They are legal, however, if you have a gas engine within, the police may try to tell you your machine is illegal - even if your engine is smaller than the legal 49cc displacement. This may mean it is smart to stick to the freer areas of the US - rural areas in the west may be ideal.
The other major drawback is that on roads with a poor shoulder and no room for cars to pass, you may hold up traffic, pissing off drivers and police. Again, stick to backroads and wide open areas.
For all these drawbacks, you may find yourself getting 200+mpg with a 4 stroke, and will be able to operate comfortably in rain and perhaps even snow - if you have winter tires and some means of heating or insulating yourself.

Last, if you leave the US for points south, it may behoove you to have a larger engine displacement, with a sticker stating that it is 49cc, and generally operating at speeds under 35mph. When issues with traffic should arise, you can rest easy knowing that if you have to push it to 45 or 50, you can do that, and pass hazardous motorists in a sticky situation.

So there's my writeup on motorized recumbents. I'm hoping to secure funding to start cranking these out and selling them to solid travelers at cost, as I am convinced they are a superior mode of transit for a full-time traveler. I'm aiming to test this thesis once I get out west, and begin traveling on my motorized trike rig.

Z

zBzz

That sounds like a pretty solid idea, actually. If you get a decent engine and have a little mechanical knowledge you'd be able to fix it on the road quite easily, which would be a lot harder w/ a car.

My concern would be theft and how to lock it up if you needed, but I'm sure there are ways you could finangle that.

Good luck w/ future endeavors. Keep us posted, please! :)

Will Wood

Reaction score
Great idea. I've done recumbent touring, but have arthritis now. I'd have to have a hub motor to go with the trike. But those are not cheep.. ouch! But a great way to get around.

The Toecutter

The Patron Saint of Filth
Reaction score
I built one. It is basically a microcar. It currently tops out at 45-50 mph on flat ground depending upon battery state of charge, and I get 150-200 miles range at 30-35 mph cruising speeds with a 1.5 kWh battery, the equivalent of 3,000-4,000 miles per gallon in terms of efficiency. Crossing the USA from New York to Los Angeles can theoretically be done on only $3.00 worth of electricity. It's a 3kW peak setup with a 46.8V battery pack. The vehicle, ready to ride, is 91 lbs. In states where I can get away with it, I operate it unrestricted. It can readily do donuts and peel out. In states where ebikes are legally defined, I can hit a switch and limit it to 750W and 28 mph. Since I have no license, registration, title, tags, or insurance, I make sure that no cop sees me breaking the law, and there is a way to still operate it in a manner that is "street legal". With the electric motor completely disabled, I can still pedal it to 35 mph in a sprint on flat ground and hold 23-25 mph all day long. It has a trunk space that can fit my tools, spare tires/tubes/parts, and a week's worth of groceries.

1KvhZN8.jpg

j75uGn7.jpg

1aaEtdp.jpg

tzO209r.jpg

Jrz8rYc.jpg

Future goals: I'm working on upgrading it to a new body shell that has roughly 1/3 the aerodynamic drag of the current one, and it is receiving a roll cage, solar car tires, light-duty motorcycle wheels, a 72V battery pack, more powerful controller, solar panels, tow mount for a coroplast trailer, and other changes. Eventually, it will have 10 kW peak and a 2.5 kWh battery pack. I already have a rear suspension installed, so it now has suspension on all three wheels. The goal is to be able to accelerate faster than most cars, top 100 mph, and it will be efficient enough that I can travel hundreds of miles for pennies. With the motor disabled, it will still end up pedalable to 45+ mph. When completed in this configuration, I will be keeping it under 100 lbs.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads