Max loads, how much weight do you carry?

thdoctada

Reaction score
How much weight would you carry at max? From what I have read on hiking, you should never carry more than one third of your bodyweight. For me that would be 56 Lbs. Now, I can man handle 50 Lbs. all day long as far as picking up things and moving them around. But that seems like a lot of weight for something on your back almost all of the time. What do you guys think? What would be the best weight to shoot for? I know the Anarchists Guide to Travel says 30 Lbs. I feel like this is the kind of thing i need to get some input on.

Reactions: marymemarryme

ali

Reaction score
My theory is if you have a tool available to you that you can use to weigh all your stuff, then you already have too much stuff. If you are worrying about how heavy your bag is gonna be, don't, because it's already too heavy or you wouldn't be worrying about it.

Agree with just going out and giving it a try. Think about how you feel after one day and consider how you might feel after one hundred days, sleeping in less comfortable conditions then you do now. Shooting for a number is not really useful because it depends how good your bag is, the shape of your body, your fitness level, where you plan to go etc. The only rule of thumb is that less stuff is always better. No long term traveler i ever met wishes they brought more stuff.

TheTexasRoadrunner

Reaction score
Im more old school on what I use and carry so let's see , my Swagroll ( Bedroll) is usually 5-10 pounds depending on what blankets and clothes I'm carrying , my tuckerbag carrying are food is normally under 8 pounds , and then our bindle is only a pound or two so usually about under 25 pounds.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i think i mention it in the book as well, but the best advice i've heard regarding this is "set aside everything you think you'll need, then cut that in half".

definitely forces you to reconsider your priorities with each item.

but as for exact weight, that really depends on your body type and comfort level. I'm 5'11" and 280lbs and anything over 40lbs is kind of a pain to haul around.

Desmocrat

living two lifetimes in the span of one.
Reaction score
I understand most readers here are focused on ground travel and for a longer period than a few weeks to a month. My wife and I do a lot of air travel around Asia and only with carry on packs which, for most airlines limits us to 7kg. We did, however, do a trip on DrukAir to Bhutan where carry on bags could not be over 5kg. The secret is to leave most electronics at home and take only a few changes of clothes. Just stuff a sock in the bidet, fill ‘er up, and do a load of laundry. Put anything with weight in the jacket you are wearing (phone, camera, power bank, etc.)
But when backpacking I try to not go over 20kg in a 40 liter backpack (but for airline carry on I use a 40 liter ZPacks Bagger Ultra pack that comes in at 534 grams). Also, I pack it so that everything is stuffed in the pack, no dangling gear outside the pack. Stuff tent, sleeping bag and clothing loose so every nook and cranny of the interior of the bag is filled. This stuff takes up more space if you pack it in separate compression bags.

backatitagain007

Reaction score
How much weight would you carry at max? From what I have read on hiking, you should never carry more than one third of your bodyweight. For me that would be 56 Lbs. Now, I can man handle 50 Lbs. all day long as far as picking up things and moving them around. But that seems like a lot of weight for something on your back almost all of the time. What do you guys think? What would be the best weight to shoot for? I know the Anarchists Guide to Travel says 30 Lbs. I feel like this is the kind of thing i need to get some input started with 51lbs

Started with 63lbs then soon realized I'm not as in shape as I used to be now im down to 36lbs

synchronizedviolence

I love my Hot Wife!!!
Reaction score
How much weight would you carry at max? From what I have read on hiking, you should never carry more than one third of your bodyweight. For me that would be 56 Lbs. Now, I can man handle 50 Lbs. all day long as far as picking up things and moving them around. But that seems like a lot of weight for something on your back almost all of the time. What do you guys think? What would be the best weight to shoot for? I know the Anarchists Guide to Travel says 30 Lbs. I feel like this is the kind of thing i need to get some input on.

I'm carrying a 60l bag that weighs In around 65 pounds

TheDesertMouse

Reaction score
Im so curious what all you heavy pack people are careying.

My base weight (weight of all my gear before food/water) fluctuates between 12-21lbs depending on the environment and season. The heaviest I have EVER had my pack for long periods of time was 75-80lbs, that was with 10 days of food and mountaineering gear… like what are you guys carrying to have 65lbs+ for hitchhiking?

synchronizedviolence

I love my Hot Wife!!!
Reaction score
Im so curious what all you heavy pack people are careying.

My base weight (weight of all my gear before food/water) fluctuates between 12-21lbs depending on the environment and season. The heaviest I have EVER had my pack for long periods of time was 75-80lbs, that was with 10 days of food and mountaineering gear… like what are you guys carrying to have 65lbs+ for hitchhiking?

Well I'm not hitchhiking I ride trains but. I carry a small amount of clothing bibs a pair of shorts boots sandals a hoodie a wool sweater a flannel small hygiene kit small stove food water some miscellaneous junk that I found and dog stuff all of that with no water comes to 60 lb or so plus my backpack which is an osprey Aether 65 is about 5 lb by itself

synchronizedviolence

I love my Hot Wife!!!
Reaction score
Well I'm not hitchhiking I ride trains but. I carry a small amount of clothing bibs a pair of shorts boots sandals a hoodie a wool sweater a flannel small hygiene kit small stove food water some miscellaneous junk that I found and dog stuff all of that with no water comes to 60 lb or so plus my backpack which is an osprey Aether 65 is about 5 lb by itself

Not to mention my bedroll sleeping pad and extra blankets for the dog but all of that kind of changes with the weather

TheDesertMouse

Reaction score
Huh ok, you carry an extra pair of boots? I guess the dog stuff can add a bunch. You seem to have roughly the same ammount of clothes as me, whats in the junk category? I also ride trains, and I’ve never needed that much. I frequently see people who look like they’re carrying a mini fridge in their packs lol

It helps that most of my money goes into my gear. I lean far more to the save up to buy quality strategy. That gear tends to be lighter. My winter bedroll only weighs ~2.5 lbs for example

synchronizedviolence

I love my Hot Wife!!!
Reaction score
Huh ok, you carry an extra pair of boots? I guess the dog stuff can add a bunch. You seem to have roughly the same ammount of clothes as me, whats in the junk category? I also ride trains, and I’ve never needed that much. I frequently see people who look like they’re carrying a mini fridge in their packs lol

It helps that most of my money goes into my gear. I lean far more to the save up to buy quality strategy. That gear tends to be lighter. My winter bedroll only weighs ~2.5 lbs for example

Yea.i need to upgrade in the bed roll for sure. But honestly out of every other item I would say the insulated bibs are probably the heaviest

colter

Reaction score
Its a good thing to be able to carry heavy loads long distances over rough terrain for an extended period of time. Strong people are harder to kill and more useful in general. That said, i run an old military ruck (walking everywhere, dont take rides) an even with food an water rarely get over 35 pounds. The key is less stuff, making do with less, using less, not needing a buncha fancy gadgets and frivolities. Figure out the work around in any situation instead of having some specialized thing for some situation that might maybe possibly or not arise. Go out an give it a whirl, do a couple trips. Come back, make three piles-
#1 stuff you used every single day.
#2 stuff you used occasionally
#3 stuff you didnt use

Now get rid of piles 2 and 3. :)

Ya know how ya get better at carrying that sack around? Ya get out an do it. Im 6'8", 230. Walked over 10,000 miles in the past 3 years living out of my pack. Dropped 150 pounds in that time. Just go out an do it. Best thing i ever did.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads